• Find an incredible deal for Black Friday or Cyber Monday? Share those epic bargains with the community by posting them in this forum thread!

Question Wireless from one metal building to another metal building (with windows): advice and recommendations?

tehcurry

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
Hey everyone!

Here's my situation: our office has two buildings in total, both of which have metal exteriors.

Building A is packed to the teeth with Ethernet wall jacks in most every room, plus wireless throughout via Google mesh WiFi (this is important later).

Building B has power, but absolutely nothing for network connections.

A and B are ~35' apart. A's east wall has no windows; B's west wall has windows (these two face each other).

My goal is to get a Google Mesh point in B. Of course, the metal exterior is the main hurdle.

I've done a little research, but ultimately walked away with more questions than answers. So then...

Can I set up a wireless bridge system (e.g. TP-Link Outdoor point-to-point) from A to B, then connect the bridge receiver to a Google Mesh puck?

Is there a simpler solution? Most of these outdoor point-to-point solutions have a range of 1-15km, which is obviously overkill for the ~35' between the buildings.

Thanks in advance!

tehcurry

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
Can you not run a cable from A to B? 35 feet is nothing, even to dig up and bury. Even if you connected more mesh units in B, but ran a wire first you would get a much better signal and rates.
First, thanks for the quick reply!

To answer your question: It's physically possible but not pragmatic. The most direct route between the buildings is a wall-to-wall cement pad, so we'd be looking at more work than digging/trenching. The only non-cemented space between the buildings is home to a geothermal loop and a few other utilities. I would rather run a hard line specifically for the reasons you cited, but wireless seems the simplest path at this point.

I'll also add that the bandwidth needs in B are low. The owner's wife is using the space in B as a craft room, and it'll have maybe 5 low-demand devices, max. She wants to browse the internet for some pictures, print to a wireless printer, and maybe stream some music/news podcasts. No streaming video, no video conference calls, no World of Warcraft.

I suppose I could better clarify the question: What's the best way to use a wireless bridge to create a backhaul for a Google WiFi (Gen1)? Something like this:

Switch [A] --- Wireless bridge [A exterior] -) ) ( (- Wireless receiver [B exterior] --- Google WiFi router
--- = wired
-) ) ( (- = wireless

You can get many brands but I like the equipment from ubiquiti. Their nanostation loco ac will likely be more than enough and they cost about $50 each. engenius sell many models also if you can't get ubiquiti where you live

Note they need clear line of sight and you want them high enough so something like a big truck can't block them

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS