Wireless G Gateway with a wireless N Router?

mattthetechgeek

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Hello everyone,

I currently have MTS for my isp and unfortunately, it only has wireless G capabilities.
These are the specs for the gateway/router:
http://www.2wire.com/pages/pdfs/491.pdf

If I were to purchasae a wireless N router, would I get 300mbps on my wifi rather than 54 mbps? And would it be any faster overall? I would love to get Gigabit, however, it is simply not possible at the moment.

Thanks

Solution
If you get a wireless N router it would give you up to 300Mbps on your internal network. It would increase the speed in general if you have many users connected at the same time in your home. So if you do on-line gaming and video streaming etc. all that will run alot smoother.
Your internet speed on the other hand is whole other ballgame, unless your ISP is giving you speeds over the 54Mbps, its not going to change much..
Another thing is the range, typically wireless N routers offer batter range than wireless G routers.
In all upgrading to wireless N will give you a better internet experience and I'm sure you will be happy you did upgrade.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
If you get a wireless N router it would give you up to 300Mbps on your internal network. It would increase the speed in general if you have many users connected at the same time in your home. So if you do on-line gaming and video streaming etc. all that will run alot smoother.
Your internet speed on the other hand is whole other ballgame, unless your ISP is giving you speeds over the 54Mbps, its not going to change much..
Another thing is the range, typically wireless N routers offer batter range than wireless G routers.
In all upgrading to wireless N will give you a better internet experience and I'm sure you will be happy you did upgrade.

Solution