Wireless generally works well except for low latency, high bandwidth streams?

mrtissues

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Hello I have a NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 router which my desktop connects to using an Asus ASUS Dual-Band Wireless-AC1900 (PCE-AC68) adapter.

Generally this combination works perfectly. However, I have been having issues when trying to stream things that need to maintain a constant high bandwidth stream with low latency. The use case here is Nvidia Gamestream. 95% of the time the stream is perfect, and then every now and then for about a second I will drop frames. I am sure that this has to do with my wireless because if I run ethernet across the house I do not have this issue.

Here is a video of this happening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0S0W7HzAxQ

I have the latest drivers installed for the router as well as the wireless card. However, I am not sure if the wireless card drivers installed because I cannot open the Asus wireless card utility tool, it does not seem to have installed. I am running Windows 10 with all of the latest updates.

No. The only thing tools will tell you is what the network itself is doing. You would be able to see the network drop, but it wouldn't be able to tell why. It may not be interference, but it's likely since it is random and only lasts for a second. Maybe The A/C kicking on or something similar.

mrtissues

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Is there a way to make sure I have the proper drivers installed? I used to be able to open a Asus wireless driver tool but now with the latest drivers/Windows 10 that tool no longer seems to exist.

You may not see all devices that are using 5g. You really are only seeing the beacons from the routers and they do not really tell you what channels they use. 802.11ac uses 4 channels and there are only 2 blocks of 4 channels and if anyone uses even 1 in those blocks you have issues. If you can see anyone using 5g you likely are getting interference.