Question Wireless Headset Interference

Jul 8, 2022
Hi everyone,
First time posting here and begging for help
I have had an Astro a50 3rd gen for years now and had some problems but nothing I could not fix, I finally decided to upgrade and got the A50 4th Gen immediately after starting use I have this constant ticking noise in the headset (I have tried turning off mic monitor it does not work) I thought this was just a defective headset so I returned it and got the same one and had the exact same problem (note: I did not have this issue with the old 3rd gen) I returned this headset as well thinking it was also just defective. I then purchased the SteelSeries Arctis Nova Pro Wireless and am still having the issue. this lead me to believe that it was a driver issue on my PC after updating drivers it still persisted and I also tried the headset on my MacBook and still had the issue. It is obviously wireless interference so I tired different locations for the base station all over my desk the furthest from the router I could and still have the problem. I am going to return the SteelSeries regardless as I do not care for it but does anyone have any idea how I can stop this interference issue as I cant really move my setup much..
Thank you!

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I know nothing of these systems, specifically, but would consider it to be some interference or crosstalk.

If I am understanding the spec card well enough it indicates there is a base station which is USB powered?

If so, move the power to another source such as a backup or whatnot such that you can see if some interference is being injected there.

It also mentions it being on 2.4Ghz wireless, so would probably check with a scanner tool to see if you have a lot of traffic on that wavelength and if there is anything you can do to mitigate.

In regard to the ticking noise, is it constant all the time and going pretty quickly, intermittent, slower?

Typically, interference coming in from high voltage lines will make noise in conjunction with the hz

Jul 8, 2022
I know nothing of these systems, specifically, but would consider it to be some interference or crosstalk.

If I am understanding the spec card well enough it indicates there is a base station which is USB powered?

If so, move the power to another source such as a backup or whatnot such that you can see if some interference is being injected there.

It also mentions it being on 2.4Ghz wireless, so would probably check with a scanner tool to see if you have a lot of traffic on that wavelength and if there is anything you can do to mitigate.

In regard to the ticking noise, is it constant all the time and going pretty quickly, intermittent, slower?

Typically, interference coming in from high voltage lines will make noise in conjunction with the hz
Yes there is a base station and yes it is 2.4 and yes it is usb powered. I have tried all different usb ports there is a large amount of traffic on the 2.4 but there is not really any options to change that in my setup so i do not think i can mitigate it. the ticking is nearly constant - . . . . . . . -------- . . . . . sometimes it will stop but always comes back. my only confusion on this issue is that the astro 3rd gen did not have that problem and it is the same 2.4
thank you for your reply btw
edit to add - the ticking as if you read this normally tick tick tick tick

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Without being more knowledgeable about the product itself....
Is the USB connection only providing power, or this also where the audio is being presented to/from PC and headset?

Like, for instance, are there also audio jacks plugged in elsewhere?

Jul 8, 2022
ah, well that rather kills the idea I had

Do you happen to have a choke available from any other equipment?
IE a magnet that snaps together over the cord, typically a short cylinder with a plastic housing.

I will admit that I totally could be barking up the wrong tree.
I do not unfortunately the confusing part to me is that the problem occurred both on my PC and laptop and I have tried multiple different usb cords.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I do not unfortunately the confusing part to me is that the problem occurred both on my PC and laptop and I have tried multiple different usb cords.

Yes, that throws me a bit as well.
Was the laptop plugged into the wall, or running off battery?

I would consider that it could be any number of things in the house, since it is such a common band. It could also be something outside your home.

I hope you can get it figured. You can buy chokes from Amazon. I am not suggesting this kit, but as a for instance. You place these over the power supply and or audio lines and it helps reduce interference.

Amazon.com: Pienoy 20 PCS EMI RFI Noise Filter Cable Ring/Noise Filter Suppressor Cable Clip for 3mm/ 5mm/ 7mm/ 9mm/ 13mm Diameter/Video Cable Power Cord (Black) : Electronics

My own experience in using them is in relation to the old home intercom systems as they like to pick up everything.

Jul 8, 2022
Yes, that throws me a bit as well.
Was the laptop plugged into the wall, or running off battery?

I would consider that it could be any number of things in the house, since it is such a common band. It could also be something outside your home.

I hope you can get it figured.
tried both plugged in and unplugged same issue. Thank you for your help regardless!