[SOLVED] Wireless Headset recommendations

jason3893

Reputable
Feb 9, 2017
I want to upgrade my old wired headset that was $20 on Amazon which I got back in 2017. I plan to pretty much just use it on my PC for video calls, watching videos, music and games. I'm not very picky about sound quality, but I would want something that could be considered good. I have a hard budget of $200 and I'm in the US. Here is a list of the features I'd want organized by how necessary they are to me. Thanks in advance.

Must haves:
  • wireless dongle for PC
  • mic with decent sound quality (I do a lot of video calls)
  • over-the-ear
  • comfortable to wear for multiple hours
Would like to haves:
  • option to use 3.5mm jack
  • fold away mic arm
Nice to haves:
-auto-mute mic when folded away
  • on-board volume control
  • USB-C charging port
Things I don't care about:
  • RGB
  • surround sound (virtual or physical)

Last edited:
Solution
The budget you have does allow you to look into the cream of the crop sort of headsets out there. Though IMHO, I'd ask you to stay away from RGB lighting(which is rare now), virtual surround sound(or stereo upmixing) and Razer headsets.

Do you have a preferred site for purchase? Perhaps check this article out?

jason3893

Reputable
Feb 9, 2017
The budget you have does allow you to look into the cream of the crop sort of headsets out there. Though IMHO, I'd ask you to stay away from RGB lighting(which is rare now), virtual surround sound(or stereo upmixing) and Razer headsets.

Do you have a preferred site for purchase?

I'm fine with any reputable site if it is the only option for certain headsets. The sites I have previously use for tech are Amazon, Newegg, and Bestbuy,

Arctis 7P Wireless is a good one for not a lot of money, but it uses it's own wireless dongle for low latency not bluetooth, which is actually a plus for me. It has a 3.5mm port also to use with a cable.
The Arctis line is comfortable, has a nice even sound that does not stick any frequencies to the front, it's a pretty neutral sounding headphone.
https://steelseries.com/gaming-head...1uXpc09T5EksOZht69EuawyYwgJ9G-lsaAp60EALw_wcB

I have not tried this specific model, but have other wired one, so can't say exactly how it feels when wearing it, the Arctis 5 we own is very comfortable.

Arctis 1 has a wireless version https://steelseries.com/gaming-head...pmSGgPCY8XcZGqQNWGl5o-v3_M1TFPU8aAr74EALw_wcB

Last edited:
Reactions: jason3893
From my experience, buying headset on web-shop is similar to buying shoes that way: it will never fit.
I watched countless reviews (before I decided a year ago)... but no one can tell you how comfortable particular headset will be on your head (and then, what is comfortable enough for you?).
Most headsets above (say) $150 are good quality wise and so, when watching reviews, we usually concentrate on features we need (or not ready to pay for).

I decided for Sennheiser GSP 370 (headset division was later rebranded to EPOS). When I bough this headset, it had serious issues with (wi-fi) connectivity, but after several firmware updates that was solved. Build quality is good, sound is good, microphone is good, battery life excellent.
When I've put this headset on for the first time, I was almost shocked: it sits very tight on head (feels like wearing a bike helmet) -at least compared to my AKG wired headset. Because I use headset a lot, I was kinda disappointed in this regard. So I decided to tryout (in actual store) few other models. There was some Bose headset (about $350) which was even less comfortable (for me, that is).
Ok, I haven't tried all brands, but from those that I have, I think Sony was the most comfortable to wear. Actually I would buy Sony, but some other "features" disturbed me. Anyway, over the time, I got used to GSP 370 and I don't regret buying it.
Btw. from what your priorities are, GSP 370 doesn't have USB-C, nor a 3.5 jack -but headset can be used while charging.

To finalize: If you have a chance, go to store and tryout some headset (imagining you wear it for several hours).

Reactions: jason3893