Wireless home network

Seaton

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Hello,
I have a Verizon wireless DSL modem/router, but I also want to set up a wireless home network so all three of my computers are connected using a Linksys WRT54G. The Linksys website throws a lot of jargon around that I don't understand. Can someone either send me a link to a step by step guide, or tell me what to connect where and what info to input into set up screens? Thanks!

Solution
I am trying the exact same setup, except my modem is a GT701c (Actiontec)

To put your modem in bridge mode, at least this is what i understand about that model, type 192.168.1.1 into the URL of a web browser and when the modem's page appears find the DHCP server option and set it to off.

Then unplug the ethernet cable from your computer and connect the Linksys router directly to your computer.
Type 192.168.1.1 in the address box and when the router's page appears turn network or connection type from DHCP to PPPOE

Fill in the username and password fields with whatever you want and click save settings at the bottom of the page.

Find the tab for "Security"

Select WEP and make a network key, make sure to write it down.

Save settings...
Could you please indicate the make/model of wireless DSL modem/router you're currently using w/ Verizon. It's probably one of the following:

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/HighSpeed/Networking/SetUp/QuestionsThree/123887.htm

Also, should I assume your Verizon wireless DSL modem/router are working OK and currently supporting your 3 computers? I’m just trying to determine if you’re having a specific problem w/ the current setup, or you just prefer using the Linksys WRT54G for some reason.

Seaton

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010

Hi eibgrad,

Thanks for your response. The verizon modem I'm using is a GT704WG Wireless DSL Modem/ Router. Yes, the modem works fine just as a DSL modem. No, I don't prefer the Linksys WRT54G, but I don't understand how to use the Verizon GT704WG to be both a modem AND a wireless router to connect all three of the computers.
I was under the impression the Verizon GT704WG was only a modem, and if I wanted to have wireless network between the computers, I needed the Linksys WRT54G.
Is this not the case, and if not how do I use the one Verizon GT704WG to do both jobs?

Thank you!

Seaton

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Just put your Verizon DSL modem in Bridge Mode and make the Internet connection on the Linksys router.

Hi Grumpy,

Verizon won't support the Linksys router for internet connection, and after months of tech support, I finally got the Verizon people to tweek my connection and the MCO to move me to a "different bridge group" which doubled my DSL speed, even though I had been paying for the optimum speed all along, and wasn't getting it. Therefore, I would rather not mess with something that took me years to get right.

so, how do you put the Verizon DSL modem in Bridge Mode? And can it do two things at once?

Thanks!

CaptainBib

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I am trying the exact same setup, except my modem is a GT701c (Actiontec)

To put your modem in bridge mode, at least this is what i understand about that model, type 192.168.1.1 into the URL of a web browser and when the modem's page appears find the DHCP server option and set it to off.

Then unplug the ethernet cable from your computer and connect the Linksys router directly to your computer.
Type 192.168.1.1 in the address box and when the router's page appears turn network or connection type from DHCP to PPPOE

Fill in the username and password fields with whatever you want and click save settings at the bottom of the page.

Find the tab for "Security"

Select WEP and make a network key, make sure to write it down.

Save settings again

Disconnect the router from your computer

Connect the ethernet port on the modem with the port labeled "internet" on the router with an ethernet cable

Connect one of the numbered ethernet ports on the router with your computer

If it works at this point, great, if it doesn't, turn of you modem, router, and PC, and then turn them back on in that order (waiting about 15-30 secs between each)

Good luck!

Solution