Question Wireless Improvement Solution

Feb 13, 2019
  1. How can I improve my home wifi using existing ethernet ports? My initial thoughts are that wireless access points (APs) may be the solution, but I don't know if it will work using my existing configuration (outlined below). My longer range plan this year is to make my home smart (e.g., exterior security cameras and lighting among several other things) so I would like to have the best possible wifi connectivity for inside my home and the exterior.
  2. I have 12 ethernet drops (I think Cat 5 or 5e cable) with ports in walls throughout my home. All are connected directly into a NetGear ProSafe 24-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch (model JGS524) located in my garage. The switch is connected via an ethernet port/cable in my home office to a router (Apple AirPort Time Capsule). The ISP-provided modem (Cisco model DPC3008) is also in my home office.
  3. Will wireless access points work? Is it simply a matter of connecting them, using ethernet cables, to a few of my ethernet ports in my walls and somehow linking them to my existing network name and password?
  4. It seems to me that, if my APs idea is feasible, it would be better than extending wifi through a wifi mesh network, wifi extenders, or repeaters. My reasoning is that wired as much as possible will reduce the load on other wireless devices. Do you agree? Do you have a better alternative solution?
Thanks in advance.

Feb 13, 2019
One other important note. I am considering purchasing the Netgear Orbi WiFi System (RBK50) AC3000 to replace my current Apple Airport Time Capsule router. The Orbi comes in two pieces: wifi router and satellite access point. Can I use one of the satellite access point ethernet ports to connect to one of my wall ethernet ports and, if so, will the Orbi satellite access point be even more reliable and faster than if simply connected via wifi to the primary Orbi wifi router?

Feb 7, 2019
How big is your house, what range you desire for exterior ? personally I would go with Access points inside and antenna on top of the house roof for outside range . you seem experienced so do whatever plan suits you, only thing i can recommend is to upgrade your ISP router for better one .