Wireless install

Hi all,

We have a building divided into 4 flats (apartments) and flat has 5
bedrooms. Each flat also has a telephone line with adsl on it. We want to
provide internet access to each room (20 in total) so we have decided to put
a wireless router in each flat (4 in total)

This should all work fine but I was wondering whether it would be possible
to combine the 4 routers somehow into 1 wireless network and share 4 lots of
bandwidth? Also, it would be nice if people could move around the whole
building (which has a communal area) and stay connected. I understand that
if I give all 4 routers the same SSID but put them on a differnt channel,
this will work. We have D-Link DSL G604T adsl routers.

We would also like to implement some form of security, but are concerned
about making it too complicated for people. Which is the simplest, least
problematic security to use?

TIA
Gaz.

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 08:47:54 GMT, "Gaz" <gaz8080@hotmail.coom> wrote:

>We have a building divided into 4 flats (apartments) and flat has 5
>bedrooms. Each flat also has a telephone line with adsl on it. We want to
>provide internet access to each room (20 in total) so we have decided to put
>a wireless router in each flat (4 in total)

Ummm... by "a telephone line", do you mean that all 4 apartments share
a common phone line with a single ADSL circuit, or are there 4
independent phone lines with 4 independent ADSL circuits?

>This should all work fine but I was wondering whether it would be possible
>to combine the 4 routers somehow into 1 wireless network and share 4 lots of
>bandwidth?

Oh, you want to do bandwidth aggregation, where a given user now has 4
times the bandwidth. That can be done but you'll require the
cooperation of the ISP. Also, you won't like the cost. Right now,
you can roam to any ONE of the 4 access points, and get all the
bandwidth it can theoretically deliver. However, with bandwidth
aggregation, you could theoretically use all 4 ADSL lines at once to
get 4 times that bandwidth. Just one problem. All 4 ADSL lines and
routers are on 4 different IP addresses. There's no easy way for you
to "bond" the 4 IP addresses into one from just your end without the
cooperation of the ISP (assuming they all come from a single ISP).

See:
http://www.vicomsoft.com/knowledge/pdfs/teaming_qa.pdf
for a nice survey of the various techniques involved. Note that
"connection teaming" does not do what you want as you will still be
limited by the bandwidth of a single ADSL connection.

If a major performance improvement is what you want, I suggest you ask
about higher speed ADSL circuits (3000 or 6000Mbits/sec), reduce the
number of circuits from 4 to perhaps 1, and share the bandwidth
between adjacent apartments. Much simpler.

>Also, it would be nice if people could move around the whole
>building (which has a communal area) and stay connected. I understand that
>if I give all 4 routers the same SSID but put them on a differnt channel,
>this will work. We have D-Link DSL G604T adsl routers.

Ugh. An all in one modem/router. By using the same SSID, on
different channels, you can impliment a form of roaming. However, you
now have a security issue as there is no easy way to keep a roaming
user out of your machines. Anyone that can access one access point
can access all of them. You can't use MAC address filtering or
different WEP/WPA keys to provide security because they would all need
to be the same to effect roaming. There are ways around this using
VPN's and multiple IP addresses, but perhaps it would be best if you
reconsider how this is going to be used before I offer complicated
solutions.

>We would also like to implement some form of security, but are concerned
>about making it too complicated for people. Which is the simplest, least
>problematic security to use?

Oh good, you didn't include least expensive. Setup a server of some
sorts and use a VPN server to establish a VPN termination for the
laptops. Run some VPN client software on all the laptops. These can
get to the internet through the VPN but will not be able to see the
other computahs in the network. You'll probably have to sell your
routers and buy seperate DSL modems, routers, and wireless access
points. There are also dedicated boxes that do this, but you don't
wanna know the price.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

> [...]
> VPN's and multiple IP addresses, but perhaps it would be best if you
> reconsider how this is going to be used before I offer complicated
> solutions.
>
>>We would also like to implement some form of security, but are concerned
>>about making it too complicated for people. Which is the simplest, least
>>problematic security to use?
>
> Oh good, you didn't include least expensive. Setup a server of some
> sorts and use a VPN server to establish a VPN termination for the
> laptops. Run some VPN client software on all the laptops. These can
> get to the internet through the VPN but will not be able to see the
> other computahs in the network. You'll probably have to sell your
> routers and buy seperate DSL modems, routers, and wireless access
> points. There are also dedicated boxes that do this, but you don't

Thanks for taking time to reply Jeff, it'll take me a while to digest all
the info!
Gaz.

TRENDING THREADS