[SOLVED] Wireless Internet has recently started having lag spikes.

Nov 3, 2021
I have recently been playing a new online game a lot. Initially I never had issues with rubber banding in the game but now it happens every 5-10 seconds. My character gets teleported backwards, actions I take in the online game do not get recognized etc etc. I've run ping tests in my CMD window and attached are the results. Does anyone have any idea why I would randomly start getting lag spikes when my roommate doesn't experience them at all while playing the same game.

Screenshots

Solution
Impossible to say. The wifi chips hide all the diagnostic data. There is nothing you can really set or change anyway.

You can check the drivers to be sure microsoft did not update them when you weren't looking. Maybe try running 2.4g rather than 5g or the reverse.

After that you start considering extreme things like replacing the wifi card if that is even possible on your laptop.
Not sure if that is enough of a ping spike to cause lag in a game. You should ping your router IP to see if it is your internet connection or the wifi.

You really need to try it on a ethenet cable to see if the problem only happens when you are connected via wifi or if it could be something else not network related causing the spikes.

If it ends up that it is the wifi causing it there is very little you can do to fix it. Wifi is subject to all kinds of interference and even very tiny differences in the position of the machine or the antenna can cause differences. Even if you fix it someone else using wifi could change something on their machine and cause interference again.

Wifi problems with random interference are extremely hard to do anything about which is why they say you should never play online games on wifi.

Nov 3, 2021
Not sure if that is enough of a ping spike to cause lag in a game. You should ping your router IP to see if it is your internet connection or the wifi.

You really need to try it on a ethenet cable to see if the problem only happens when you are connected via wifi or if it could be something else not network related causing the spikes.

If it ends up that it is the wifi causing it there is very little you can do to fix it. Wifi is subject to all kinds of interference and even very tiny differences in the position of the machine or the antenna can cause differences. Even if you fix it someone else using wifi could change something on their machine and cause interference again.

Wifi problems with random interference are extremely hard to do anything about which is why they say you should never play online games on wifi.
My only question is why would I suddenly start experiencing these spikes when my roommate doesn’t? I even brought my laptop down to his room and we both were running the same ping test and his never spiked while mine does. So my desktop and my laptop both have spikes whereas his desktop and his laptop do not

Impossible to say. The wifi chips hide all the diagnostic data. There is nothing you can really set or change anyway.

You can check the drivers to be sure microsoft did not update them when you weren't looking. Maybe try running 2.4g rather than 5g or the reverse.

After that you start considering extreme things like replacing the wifi card if that is even possible on your laptop.

Solution