Wireless Internet Shuts off Every 2 Hours

ravensfan852

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
Wireless Card: TP-Link WDN4800

Hello all,

I'm posting this thread for some help for a friend of mine, so responses may be delayed. My friend is having an issue with his wireless connection. His card is listed above for reference. The issue he is having is his wireless connection drops every two hours. He's timed it multiple times and it's usually 2 hours to the minute. He's tried a few troubleshooting steps already, such as turning off power saving and reinstalling drivers.

Whenever he repairs or re-installs his drivers for his wireless card (as mentioned above) is brings the internet back, but again for the two hour interval. Any suggestions?

Solution
He may have found a solution. He changed his computer power options to performance rather than power saving. The internet stayed on for over 5 hours until he turned off the computer completely. I'm unsure if it was a complete fix, but if it stays on again tonight he may have figured it out.

thejackal85

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016
Well, if it's only happening to him and no one else, then it's probably his wireless card. This activity usually happens when the wi-fi card begins to go bad. I would recommend getting a USB wi-fi adapter in place of his local wireless. If he has USB3.0 ports available, his wireless may be faster with one of those adapters using one of those ports than it would onboard.

ravensfan852

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
He may have found a solution. He changed his computer power options to performance rather than power saving. The internet stayed on for over 5 hours until he turned off the computer completely. I'm unsure if it was a complete fix, but if it stays on again tonight he may have figured it out.

Solution