Question Wireless Issues

bamitscon

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
I am currently on BT WiFi, with the BT Home Hub 5, living in a bungalow, it is located in the hallway down the end, my bedroom is at the other end of the hallway, and my PC sits at around 20-21MB download speed, roughly 5upload, and this is on the best package, fibre with BT, not exactly great but its the best and recommended speeds offered. i do have a Sky Q box in my room, which i have numerous problems with, internet dropping out on it, not being able to connect, problems skipping stuff etc. the internet is really bad in the kitchen, at the other end of the house which is also just at the end of the hallway, which we get around 1 bar internet.

Basically what im asking, is there anything i can do or get to increase the WIFI range into the kitchen and preferably into my room for the sky box? there IS also a sky box in the kitchen which receives the same problems regarding internet issues.

i got told that there is double sockets which have WIFI boosters on which when installed in different rooms it increases the range of the WIFI? are these recommended, are they any good?

what would be suggested to do in order to get better WIFI coverage at the other end of the bungalow, and to make my Sky box and Computer gaming wirelessly more enjoyable.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-13a-...-2-1a-1-outlet-type-a-usb-charger-white/988fv

I am currently on BT WiFi, with the BT Home Hub 5, living in a bungalow, it is located in the hallway down the end, my bedroom is at the other end of the hallway, and my PC sits at around 20-21MB download speed, roughly 5upload, and this is on the best package, fibre with BT, not exactly great but its the best and recommended speeds offered. i do have a Sky Q box in my room, which i have numerous problems with, internet dropping out on it, not being able to connect, problems skipping stuff etc. the internet is really bad in the kitchen, at the other end of the house which is also just at the end of the hallway, which we get around 1 bar internet.

Basically what im asking, is there anything i can do or get to increase the WIFI range into the kitchen and preferably into my room for the sky box? there IS also a sky box in the kitchen which receives the same problems regarding internet issues.

i got told that there is double sockets which have WIFI boosters on which when installed in different rooms it increases the range of the WIFI? are these recommended, are they any good?

what would be suggested to do in order to get better WIFI coverage at the other end of the bungalow, and to make my Sky box and Computer gaming wirelessly more enjoyable.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-13a-...-2-1a-1-outlet-type-a-usb-charger-white/988fv
There’s a lot of options. For the PC if it’s for gaming I would run a wire. Everything else you can run powerline, wifi repeaters or set up a mesh network.

bamitscon

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
There’s a lot of options. For the PC if it’s for gaming I would run a wire. Everything else you can run powerline, wifi repeaters or set up a mesh network.
A Ethernet cable to the modem? And what do you mean by everything else on power line, would doing the double sockets which boost wifi be a good idea to do or

A Ethernet cable to the modem? And what do you mean by everything else on power line, would doing the double sockets which boost wifi be a good idea to do or
Yes

Powerline uses the copper power wiring in your house as Ethernet. Not super fast but about the same as wifi with better latency. Just have an adapter at each end

Your can buy mesh networks which are plug in and play pretty mucb

bamitscon

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
Yes

Powerline uses the copper power wiring in your house as Ethernet. Not super fast but about the same as wifi with better latency. Just have an adapter at each end

So what would be the best case of action here? If I was to do Ethernet from my gaming computer the cable would have to be quite a long run. It’s more just to boost my internet in my room and up the other end of the house where we don’t get internet such as in the kitchen, and my sky box doesn’t have great connection

bamitscon

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
Yes

So i got the adapters plugged into my room and near modem with ethernet but its made the dropouts more frequent and hasnt really been reliable?

Are the powerline adapter you bought plugged into a surge protector or near a fluorescent or LED lamp? Those will all cause problems.

Also, I'm surprised no one mentioned MOCA. Do you have coaxial tv cable running through your house, either from cable television or satellite tv?

Since you live in a bungalow, it's super easy to run ethernet through the attic or underneath the house in the crawl space or basement. It's not very expensive either. Like $60 for a spool of cat6 ethernet cable and $40 for connectors, wall plates and a punchdown tool. You can call a local IT company and get an estimate of how much they'll charge for labor to run ethernet. It won't be that much for <1 hour of work.

bamitscon

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2015
Are the powerline adapter you bought plugged into a surge protector or near a fluorescent or LED lamp? Those will all cause problems.

Also, I'm surprised no one mentioned MOCA. Do you have coaxial tv cable running through your house, either from cable television or satellite tv?

Since you live in a bungalow, it's super easy to run ethernet through the attic or underneath the house in the crawl space or basement. It's not very expensive either. Like $60 for a spool of cat6 ethernet cable and $40 for connectors, wall plates and a punchdown tool. You can call a local IT company and get an estimate of how much they'll charge for labor to run ethernet. It won't be that much for <1 hour of work.
the Adapters are both plugged into a Wall socket, Not near any of those things you stated neither, wouldnt know about the TV cable? We use SKY tv now so they installed a satalite, other than that im not sure?