[SOLVED] wireless keyboard getting annoying

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
recently the keyboard stops working at all from time to time unless I log out and log in again, as soon as it logs out it is good again. I thought it was running of battery so I replaced it but the condition persists, what is the reason? The receiver is stuck securely and directly to the back of the desktop PC so I think it isn't getting loose or anything else affecting it,so ..... what is the reason??

Solution
Wireless keyboard

Try other known working keyboards on your computer.

Try the problem keyboard on another known working computer.

Determine if the "cut out" problem follows the keyboard or stays with the computer.

Drivers

Use Device Manager to identify the currently installed keyboard drivers.

Current drivers may be buggy and/or corrupted.

Go to the wireless keyboard's manufacturer's website and look for the wireless drivers applicable for the keyboard and OS.

Manually download the keyboard drivers. Reinstall and reconfigure as applicable to your system. Forego installing any enhancement software that may come along with or be made available to installation. Software for customizing keystrokes, etc...
may just be a low quality device that has begun to show it's quality.

try it on a different system to see if the issue persists.

if not;
than it may just be an issue with Windows properly recognizing or staying connected to the receiver.
uninstalling any included software and removing any personal settings related to it and then reinstalling it with default settings could solve such an issue.
or do a wipe and fresh install of the OS.
there's also a chance that Windows Power Plan USB settings need to be optimized.

if the issue does persist on the second system;
than it is time for a replacement keyboard.
if you are dead-set on wireless, look for one that has an optional USB connection.

Ralston18

Titan
And I will add the suggestion that you try a USB extension cable to raise the receiver up and away from the back of the pc.

May well indeed be a matter of quality and that the receiver is no longer up to "full strength". Just a few inches change in location may make a difference.

Also take a look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, etc. that correspond with the keyboard stoppages.

Start with Reliability History - much more user friendly and the timeline format can be very helpful.

You could also try the built in Windows Troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Likewise "sfc /scannow" and "dism"

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

Overall: Make a wipe and fresh OS install the very, very last resort.

And, in any case: be sure that all data is backed up at least 2 x to locations off of the computer in question before doing anything.

Verify that the data is recoverable and readable.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
And I will add the suggestion that you try a USB extension cable to raise the receiver up and away from the back of the pc.

May well indeed be a matter of quality and that the receiver is no longer up to "full strength". Just a few inches change in location may make a difference.

Also take a look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, etc. that correspond with the keyboard stoppages.

Start with Reliability History - much more user friendly and the timeline format can be very helpful.

You could also try the built in Windows Troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Likewise "sfc /scannow" and "dism"

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

Overall: Make a wipe and fresh OS install the very, very last resort.

And, in any case: be sure that all data is backed up at least 2 x to locations off of the computer in question before doing anything.

Verify that the data is recoverable and readable.

likely to be hardware or software problem?
because of the usb receiver getting rusty?

Ralston18

Titan
If the keyboard is losing connectivity due to the rust then the keyboard will stop working. How the system responds and/or recovers to the loss of the keyboard could vary.

= = = =

So you have now switched to a wireless keyboard and the problems continue - correct? Have you tried new batteries in the wireless keyboard? A known brand versus some discount bin, generic, low cost, low quality, batteries.

Did you plug the wireless keyboard's receiver into the same port that was (per my understanding) the host port for the problem wired (USB) keyboard?

Is there rust on the keyboard's receiver?

Is that USB port rusty? Use a bright flashlight to examine the port - with the system powered down and unplugged.

Look in Reliability History. What errors do you see and are there any errors (or other entries) that correspond with the loss of the wireless keyboard.

Overall, most systems do not respond well when components, peripherals, etc. are suddenly disconnected or connected. Especially if other processes are running and dependent on the presence or even the absence of some device.

It could be software and those possibilities can be addressed by some of the suggestions in Posts #2 and #3.

Yes: reinstall the keyboard drivers. Manually download the wireless keyboard drivers from the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure.

Reactions: brannsiu

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
Hi all, the problem is persisting , the wireless keyboard now stops working without reason at least twice every day, then I have to log out windows before it works again. Very annoying. I have replaced the batteries so I believe there is nothing to do with the batteries. Should I reinstall Windows 10 now or just buy a new wireless keyboard?

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
If the keyboard is losing connectivity due to the rust then the keyboard will stop working. How the system responds and/or recovers to the loss of the keyboard could vary.

= = = =

So you have now switched to a wireless keyboard and the problems continue - correct? Have you tried new batteries in the wireless keyboard? A known brand versus some discount bin, generic, low cost, low quality, batteries.

Did you plug the wireless keyboard's receiver into the same port that was (per my understanding) the host port for the problem wired (USB) keyboard?

Is there rust on the keyboard's receiver?

Is that USB port rusty? Use a bright flashlight to examine the port - with the system powered down and unplugged.

Look in Reliability History. What errors do you see and are there any errors (or other entries) that correspond with the loss of the wireless keyboard.

Overall, most systems do not respond well when components, peripherals, etc. are suddenly disconnected or connected. Especially if other processes are running and dependent on the presence or even the absence of some device.

It could be software and those possibilities can be addressed by some of the suggestions in Posts #2 and #3.

Yes: reinstall the keyboard drivers. Manually download the wireless keyboard drivers from the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure.

Hi. Thanks for the details.
The batteries are decent quality, so no doubt about the batteries. \
Drivers? Isn't driver already old day story? I remember I haven't installed
any drive for a decade. The keyboard was purchased on Amazon and didn't come with any driver.

However, I'm interested in what you are talking about rusting. Probably the reason. What should I do next time to prevent my USB ports from getting rusty in the future? Regularly cleaning with alcohol? Is it dangerous to the hardware?

Ralston18

Titan
Wireless keyboard

Try other known working keyboards on your computer.

Try the problem keyboard on another known working computer.

Determine if the "cut out" problem follows the keyboard or stays with the computer.

Drivers

Use Device Manager to identify the currently installed keyboard drivers.

Current drivers may be buggy and/or corrupted.

Go to the wireless keyboard's manufacturer's website and look for the wireless drivers applicable for the keyboard and OS.

Manually download the keyboard drivers. Reinstall and reconfigure as applicable to your system. Forego installing any enhancement software that may come along with or be made available to installation. Software for customizing keystrokes, etc..

Rust

If you see rust there is probably not a lot you can do about it. Likely the result of cheap/poor plating on the connectors. If scrapped off or otherwise "cleaned" the problem is likely to get worse. And you could accidentally cause other damage.

When the keyboard is working, gently wiggle, pinch, and otherwise physically move the receiver. Determine if movement causes the keyboard to cut out and freeze the computer. Could be that the receiver is shorting out via the USB port. Only takes momentary contact that can be the result of movement, vibration, expansion (heat).

Plug/port

Another option - get a USB extension cable. Connect wireless receiver to the extension cable and then plug the extension cable in to the USB port(s).

Getting the wireless receiver up and away from the computer may help with wireless transmission and reception.

And a different fit & feel between receiver plug and port might resolve the problem.

Solution