Wireless Link over 8km

chief

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002

What would I need to set up a wireless link over a distance of 8.5km. I see
Dlink make some directional antannae capable of going this far.
I want to share a satellite connection & business files with my brother on
our farm in Australia.
Any ideas?

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Chief wrote:

> What would I need to set up a wireless link over a distance of 8.5km. I see
> Dlink make some directional antannae capable of going this far.
> I want to share a satellite connection & business files with my brother on
> our farm in Australia.
> Any ideas?

Look through the archives of this group on groups.google.com for
extending range and the associated products. I'm sure those 21dbi dishes
from DLink would probably work but from my experience that's like
swatting flies with a Louisville Slugger (and at a premium price, I'm sure).

Don't forget the one main rule, you *must* have clear line of sight
between the two antennas.

Hi Chief

If you have line of sight and can actually see from one location to the
other this setup would be ideal

http://www.ozcableguy.com/wirelessbridge.html

The bridge is very easy to set up and the only real problem is getting a
clear view between the antennae. It takes about 1/2 an hour to set up if
you are just crossing the road without external antennae.

Bifa

"Chief" <andyandem@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What would I need to set up a wireless link over a distance of 8.5km. I
see
> Dlink make some directional antannae capable of going this far.
> I want to share a satellite connection & business files with my brother on
> our farm in Australia.
> Any ideas?

Match

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

hmmm, is there a URL to find out line of sight versus height above ground ?

Cheers
Match

On 2004-05-18, Match <avolio@R_EMOVE> wrote:
> hmmm, is there a URL to find out line of sight versus height above ground ?

google out fresnel zone calculator or formula to compute fresnel zone

--
..-------------------------------------------------.
Hrvoje Spoljar spole@x.pbf.hr.NOSPAM

Lars

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003

On Tue, 18 May 2004 21:30:33 +1000, "Match" <avolio@R_EMOVE
cyberwizards.com.au> wrote:

> is there a URL to find out line of sight versus height above ground ?

A formula I learned in navigation school goes like this;

D = 2 * (the square root of H1+the square root of H2)

Where D=distance in nautical miles and
H1 is the altitide above sea leavel of antenna 1 and
H2 is the altitide above sea leavel of antenna 2.
These altitudes are expressed in meters.

1 nautical mile = 1852 meters.

Example H1 = 25 meters
H2 = 36 meters

D = 2 * ( 5 + 6 ) nM
= 22 nautical miles or abt 40 kilometers

If the ground is reasonably level you can probably use that
formula to calculate the distance you would have a free line of
sight on land as well. At least it should give you some idea.

Good luck!

Lars
Stockholm