Wireless link to router without cable modem

gregg

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003

I bought a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router and a WMP54GS wireless NIC so
I would not have to run wires to my computer when I get broadband cable
service. I have Windows XP.

While waiting several days for for the ISP to activate the connection to
my house, I thought I would see if I could get the wireless link between
the PC and the router to work. I have not had much luck.

Should it be possible for me to see the router through the wireless link
the way I can through an ethernet cable? So far, all I get is a NIC icon
with a red X on it in the tray. If I select "View Available Wireless
Networks" from the icon menu, and then click "Refresh network list", it
tells me "No wireless networks were found in range". I did set the
channel in the device manager properties to the same as the router
configuration.

Is it necessary for there to be a live Internet connection on the other
side of the router before the wireless part will work? The card works
because I put it in a computer at work and it saw the wireless network
there.

Thanks.

Greg,

No, this network should work even though the link that connects to the
internet is not present.

The channel setting is not important. However, reviewing the documentation
that came along with your router is important. You may need to update your
driver as well, as the shipping drivers may be much older than the drivers
avaialable from the manufacturer's website.

Briefly,
1) Connect with a cable to the router and attempt to login in to the
management interface (typically a web page). Read the documentation for
instructions about this.
2) Make sure that the wireless portion of the router is enabled through this
web page.
3) Make sure you are within range of the access point.

If you are still having problems, you may need to call tech support at
Linksys. It would help that you knew that the wireless card already worked.
Have you tried connecting to any public access points? If you had we would
at least know that one side this network was working.

--
Brian Wehrle
bwehrle@online.microsoft.com

"Gregg" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>I bought a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router and a WMP54GS wireless NIC so I
>would not have to run wires to my computer when I get broadband cable
>service. I have Windows XP.
>
> While waiting several days for for the ISP to activate the connection to
> my house, I thought I would see if I could get the wireless link between
> the PC and the router to work. I have not had much luck.
>
> Should it be possible for me to see the router through the wireless link
> the way I can through an ethernet cable? So far, all I get is a NIC icon
> with a red X on it in the tray. If I select "View Available Wireless
> Networks" from the icon menu, and then click "Refresh network list", it
> tells me "No wireless networks were found in range". I did set the channel
> in the device manager properties to the same as the router configuration.
>
> Is it necessary for there to be a live Internet connection on the other
> side of the router before the wireless part will work? The card works
> because I put it in a computer at work and it saw the wireless network
> there.
>
> Thanks.

gregg

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003

Brian Wehrle [MSFT] wrote:
> Greg,
>
> No, this network should work even though the link that connects to the
> internet is not present.
>
> The channel setting is not important. However, reviewing the documentation
> that came along with your router is important. You may need to update your
> driver as well, as the shipping drivers may be much older than the drivers
> avaialable from the manufacturer's website.

The driver on the linksys site is the same version that is on the CD
that came with the card. I did, however, update the firmware on the
router to no avail.

> Briefly,
> 1) Connect with a cable to the router and attempt to login in to the
> management interface (typically a web page). Read the documentation for
> instructions about this.
> 2) Make sure that the wireless portion of the router is enabled through this
> web page.

I guess I did not mention that I had done this already. Here are the
settings:

Wireless network mode: Mixed (disabled, B-only, G-only)
SSID: linksys
SSID broadcast: enable
Security Mode: disable
Wireless MAC filter: disable
Authentication type: Auto

Other timing and protocol parameters set to various defaults.

The first setting is what I would think enables the wireless mode, and
that is set to the default Mixed. I also tried B-only and G-only.

> 3) Make sure you are within range of the access point.

The computer is three feet from the router. Could it be too close?

> If you are still having problems, you may need to call tech support at
> Linksys. It would help that you knew that the wireless card already worked.
> Have you tried connecting to any public access points? If you had we would
> at least know that one side this network was working.

I verified that the card works by installing it in a computer at work.
It immediately saw the wireless network there. I am thinking the card
may not be compatible with my computer, which has an older 440BX-based
Pentium II Asus P2B motherboard. I have seen reports of similar systems
hanging at bootup, or the driver not finding the board, but I don't have
either of those problems.

I've already contacted tech support, but they seem not to want to help
me until I get my cable Internet connection established, which has been
delayed.

Thanks for your help.

Gregg

Greg,

This is the exact same problem that I had in setting up my system

You are better to wait until your ISDP is installed then have your laptop
handy to your desktop then call the Tech Line.

When you are connected to the In tjernet they will walk you through the set
up of the lap top to make sure the drivers are up to date then have you
connect your lap top to the Router by a cab;le then direct you to their
Internet wseb page where there is an automatic lilnk that sets the system up
completely without you having to fiddle with it.

It takes a bit of time but it is easier than trying to follow the man ual -
believe me.

let me know how you make out with it. It is a great system when ikt is
hooked up and make SURE you have the Encryption activated.

geoff.barrett@sympatico.ca

"Brian Wehrle [MSFT]" wrote:

> Greg,
>
> No, this network should work even though the link that connects to the
> internet is not present.
>
> The channel setting is not important. However, reviewing the documentation
> that came along with your router is important. You may need to update your
> driver as well, as the shipping drivers may be much older than the drivers
> avaialable from the manufacturer's website.
>
> Briefly,
> 1) Connect with a cable to the router and attempt to login in to the
> management interface (typically a web page). Read the documentation for
> instructions about this.
> 2) Make sure that the wireless portion of the router is enabled through this
> web page.
> 3) Make sure you are within range of the access point.
>
> If you are still having problems, you may need to call tech support at
> Linksys. It would help that you knew that the wireless card already worked.
> Have you tried connecting to any public access points? If you had we would
> at least know that one side this network was working.
>

> --
> Brian Wehrle
> bwehrle@online.microsoft.com
> Software Test Engineer/Wireless Networking
> Microsoft Corp.
>
> "Gregg" <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> >I bought a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router and a WMP54GS wireless NIC so I
> >would not have to run wires to my computer when I get broadband cable
> >service. I have Windows XP.
> >
> > While waiting several days for for the ISP to activate the connection to
> > my house, I thought I would see if I could get the wireless link between
> > the PC and the router to work. I have not had much luck.
> >
> > Should it be possible for me to see the router through the wireless link
> > the way I can through an ethernet cable? So far, all I get is a NIC icon
> > with a red X on it in the tray. If I select "View Available Wireless
> > Networks" from the icon menu, and then click "Refresh network list", it
> > tells me "No wireless networks were found in range". I did set the channel
> > in the device manager properties to the same as the router configuration.
> >
> > Is it necessary for there to be a live Internet connection on the other
> > side of the router before the wireless part will work? The card works
> > because I put it in a computer at work and it saw the wireless network
> > there.
> >
> > Thanks.

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi
The Wireless LAN should work regardless of Internet connetion or ISP.
May be this can Help.
Wireless - BasicSecurity: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

> I bought a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router and a WMP54GS wireless NIC so
> I would not have to run wires to my computer when I get broadband cable
> service. I have Windows XP.
>
> While waiting several days for for the ISP to activate the connection to
> my house, I thought I would see if I could get the wireless link between
> the PC and the router to work. I have not had much luck.
>
> Should it be possible for me to see the router through the wireless link
> the way I can through an ethernet cable? So far, all I get is a NIC icon
> with a red X on it in the tray. If I select "View Available Wireless
> Networks" from the icon menu, and then click "Refresh network list", it
> tells me "No wireless networks were found in range". I did set the
> channel in the device manager properties to the same as the router
> configuration.
>
> Is it necessary for there to be a live Internet connection on the other
> side of the router before the wireless part will work? The card works
> because I put it in a computer at work and it saw the wireless network
> there.
>
> Thanks.

gregg

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003

Gregg wrote:
> I bought a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router and a WMP54GS wireless NIC so
> I would not have to run wires to my computer when I get broadband cable
> service. I have Windows XP.
>
> While waiting several days for for the ISP to activate the connection to
> my house, I thought I would see if I could get the wireless link between
> the PC and the router to work. I have not had much luck.
>
> Should it be possible for me to see the router through the wireless link
> the way I can through an ethernet cable? So far, all I get is a NIC icon
> with a red X on it in the tray. If I select "View Available Wireless
> Networks" from the icon menu, and then click "Refresh network list", it
> tells me "No wireless networks were found in range". I did set the
> channel in the device manager properties to the same as the router
> configuration.
>
> Is it necessary for there to be a live Internet connection on the other
> side of the router before the wireless part will work? The card works
> because I put it in a computer at work and it saw the wireless network
> there.
>
> Thanks.

The problem turned out to be that the Linksys WMP54GS is not compatible
with the PCI slots on older motherboards like my Asus P2B. I replaced
the linksys adapter with a D-link DWL-G510 wireless G adapter, which has
lower system requirements, and it worked the first time I tried.

Thanks all.

Gregg