Wireless modem router at&t 2wire

G

Hello,

I have a wireless router that I purchased from AT&T when I had my internet service through them. I have moved to a new location that provides internet for me, but I want to be able to use my wireless router, so that I don't have to keep my laptop plugged in with the ethernet cable. When I try to hook the wireless router up to my current modem, it just tries to connect to my old AT&T 2wire account.

How do I get it to recognize my current connection? I thought it would do it automatically.

Hello,

I have a wireless router that I purchased from AT&T when I had my internet service through them. I have moved to a new location that provides internet for me, but I want to be able to use my wireless router, so that I don't have to keep my laptop plugged in with the ethernet cable. When I try to hook the wireless router up to my current modem, it just tries to connect to my old AT&T 2wire account.

How do I get it to recognize my current connection? I thought it would do it automatically.

You need to interface with the router using Internet Explorer and overwrite the login and password in the Connection settings with the ones your current ISP gave you. Even then, you may still find the old 2Wire is locked in only to recognise and connect to an A T & T server.

It's simple enough to do but a bit of a bind to write up so please post back if you really want to know how to do it - I'm feeling lazy. :D
[/#000ff]

Had to write this elsewhere so here's a copy:-

Go Start>Run and in the Open box, type cmd /k ipconfig /all including all the spaces. In the black form that follows wil be an entry named Default gateway and you need to note the numeric code beside that entry - something like 192.168.2.1.

Type exit to close that form then open Internet Explorer. Enter the code into the address bar as though it was a web address and you'll then face a login form, requireing a login name and password. Most routers will let you in using admin as the login and password or admin as the password. If you get in, setup pages will appear - several, in fact. The router settings are quite important and there are several you won't want to mess with.

In your case, you're looking for the DSL settings - usually on the first setup page.

[/#000ff]

enojadisimo1

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010

Xstang

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
does the 2wire have a WAN ethernet port, like on a traditional router?

I'm going to guess and say that it does not.
I'm also going to guess and say that this is a modem and routing device, not just a router like you seem to describe.

Let me tell you a story..... a while ago, there was an ISP in missouri that was not the best. static ip's (trust me, considering the end users, not good), and they had to buy their own modems for $50/month 768k DSL....

anyways, some schlub in town decided to sell used 2wire's to people saying that they would work with our network. NOT A SINGLE ONE DID. with that said, you may want to try and set your 2wire up as dynamic/DHCP in bridge mode before trying to set it up as a router, if you can.

123m

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2010
The only thing the att modem got is the telephone plug for the att line to in, and 4 ethernet ports for out put ,,does not have the ethernet port for Internet coming in.. I recommend they buy a different router, for the roadrunner he has,,, the att router dont have the extra plug for it,,

like my linksys has the 4 ethernet ports coming out but also has one ethernet ports for input ,,,which the att dont have..

HeadScratcher7

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
I recently did a post covering alot of info about my 2Wire AT&T gateway and trying to get a Cisco E3000 router to work with it. Lots of good info there that might help.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/25722-41-hook-wireless-router-2wire-router#bas

My first thought was that you might be able to put it into bridge mode, as I descibed in that thread, and get it to work. But bridge mode is basically a pass-thru so you can send it on to another router. So more correctly what you want is to connect the 2Wire to your modem and have it behave as an AP (wireless access point) This link might help with that even though it's not for the 2Wire:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1080

If by chance your service is roadrunner:
I have a friend with roadrunner and I know that service just has dumb modems. One of their service techs told me they even lock-in the computer's MAC address with their servers. So it won't recognize any other computers on that line unless the techs clear it (Or you have a router that can do MAC cloning.) But I suppose you could add a router in after the modem and then just call the techs to lock the line to the router's MAC.