Wireless mouse and keyboard failure after windows 10 fresh restart.

Oct 25, 2018
Ok so i did a fresh restart and now have a brick sitting on my desk. They KB and mouse work in bios but as soon as windows starts to load they power down permanently. I am stuck looking at the welcome screen with ONLY the time, date, and the network icon! There is no "ease of access" or power icons displayed. I cannot go to safe mode. I cannot go into the troubleshooter. I cannot click on a start button. I cannot do anything but power cycle it which i have done repeatedly! I have also hooked up usb KB and mouse, when in bios they lit up and worked but agsin failed as soon as windows logo popped on screen. I have too much on my hard drive to wipe and start over and not sure how much if any was backed up! Thats why i opted for the fresh restart that would not purge my personal files.... Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Julie

sometimes when you plug in a usb device the metal can touch the case and short out the hub. When windows 10 detects that too much current is being drawn it will power down the port/hub

this also happens with certain apple devices that charge their product on the usb hubs. apple ignored the specs and draw twice the maximum allowed current.

I would unplug the devices and plug just the keyboard into a usb 2 hub attached directly to the motherboard and attempt to boot and see if you get keyboard input.

also, motherboard can have a bios setting that will save power by turning off usb ports after some timeout period. Make sure it is turned off in the bios power management for usb. if your keyboard is plugged into a powered off hub it will not be able to wake up the hub.

also, make sure you have updated the usb 3 driver and maybe the bios from the motherboard vendors website. having Microsoft generic usb 3 drivers can be a problem if you have certain motherboards.
(some motherboard must have matching bios and usb 3 drivers or you have strange issues)
generally a usb 2 port is more likely to work since the support is part of the cpu chipset and will be updated by windows update. custom usb3.0 are not updated by windows update, you have to go to the motherboard vendor to get them.

there are some cases where you can boot, then plug In the keyboard and get it to work.
sometimes the keyboard comes up in a strange mode, like it has a stuck key. try and press both the left and right control key. it used to reset the keyboard bios. (have not had the problem in years)

Oct 25, 2018
Ok its an older pc so pre-usb3. I have tried all usb2 ports while powered on and off. I have hit every key on the keyboard and all buttons on the mouse. Power saving is not on in the bios. I originally had windows 8 but upgraded to 10 after a huge crash that involved or caused my factory installed restore partition to become corrupt.