wireless mouse goes comatose

Hi Gang,

I got a Dimension 4600 with a wireless mouse and keyboard last April. About
December, the mouse began going dead, cursor frozen until key is clicked, wheel
rotated, or -- when those fail -- the mouse is given a good whack.

I tried everything. Much back and forth with Dell support. New batteries,
re-installs, different USB port, etc. All fingers pointed to a defective mouse. Dell
finally replaced entire wireless kit February 10, with new mouse, keyboard and base,
under warranty. It worked great from February 11 until March 3. It is now doing the
same old "coma" trip:

Left untouched for a few minutes while working in email, Word, MusicMatch Jukebox,
or just sitting on Desktop, the cursor freezes in place (or disappears altogether in
Word or Outlook Express, and the LED goes into a rapid flicker -- again, until
clicked or whacked on desktop.

Anyone else experience this or have any idea what's going on here? I'm out of my
depth, and, so apparently, is Dell. (They do get kudos for the replacement, but
something is very weird.)

Thanks

Travis

PS: "Model HID-compliant mouse" is Model No: M-RAC67B, with a prominent "Dell" and
an odd "C C- 00560 (!)" the largest "number" on it. ("C-" equals a large "E" with a
curved upright. "(!)" is a circle with an exclamation point in the middle.)

my system:
"Dell Dimension 4600" 4-14-04 :

Pentium 4-2.8GHz
512MB 333Mhz RAM
Dell box and board, 8 USB, 3PCI, 1AGP
Two 40GB hard drives
CD/DVD-ROM (HL-DT-ST-DVDROM GDR8162B)
CD/DVD-RW (_NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD)
3.5 floppy drive
nVidia 128MB GeForce FX 5200 add-on graphics card
(disabled: "Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2")
56K PCI fax/modem
Ethernet 10/100 network card
Integrated SoundMAX digital audio
17-inch flat panel LCD monitor E172FP
wireless keyboard/mouse

Windows XP, home edition, SP2 (8/04), DirectX9, various Dell software pre-installed

"Travis" <travis_at_charbeneau_dot_net> wrote in message
> Hi Gang,
>
> I got a Dimension 4600 with a wireless mouse and keyboard last April.
> About December, the mouse began going dead, cursor frozen until key is
> clicked, wheel rotated, or -- when those fail -- the mouse is given a good
> whack.
>
> I tried everything. Much back and forth with Dell support. New batteries,
> re-installs, different USB port, etc. All fingers pointed to a defective
> mouse. Dell finally replaced entire wireless kit February 10, with new
> mouse, keyboard and base, under warranty. It worked great from February 11
> until March 3. It is now doing the same old "coma" trip:
>
> Left untouched for a few minutes while working in email, Word, MusicMatch
> Jukebox, or just sitting on Desktop, the cursor freezes in place (or
> disappears altogether in Word or Outlook Express, and the LED goes into a
> rapid flicker -- again, until clicked or whacked on desktop.
>
> Anyone else experience this or have any idea what's going on here? I'm out
> of my depth, and, so apparently, is Dell. (They do get kudos for the
> replacement, but something is very weird.)

Sure. It goes into "sleep" mode to conserver it's batteries. A little
movement should be all it takes to wake it up again.

Thanks, Ricky,

I'm afraid if it were that simple, Dell would never have agreed to replace my
by-then 10-month's old wireless mouse, keyboard and base. They never so much as
mentioned "sleep mode."

You're right. "A little movement" is all it should take. But in this instance the
cursor will often go suficiently dead (or missing altogether) that clicking and
wheeling won't bring it back and it needs either a mouse-to-station reset, or ...
the sharp smack on the mousepad. I'm not the violent type, and it doesn't require
much of a "smack." But "a little movement" is all it should take.

Clicking to wake it up (the wheel is less effective) can produce some unpleasant
results should the now-invisible cursor be parked over a command.

Anyone?

Travis

Travis wrote:
> Hi Gang,
>
> I got a Dimension 4600 with a wireless mouse and keyboard last April.
> About December, the mouse began going dead, cursor frozen until key
> is clicked, wheel rotated, or -- when those fail -- the mouse is
> given a good whack.
> I tried everything. Much back and forth with Dell support. New
> batteries, re-installs, different USB port, etc. All fingers pointed
> to a defective mouse. Dell finally replaced entire wireless kit
> February 10, with new mouse, keyboard and base, under warranty. It
> worked great from February 11 until March 3. It is now doing the same
> old "coma" trip:
> Left untouched for a few minutes while working in email, Word,
> MusicMatch Jukebox, or just sitting on Desktop, the cursor freezes in
> place (or disappears altogether in Word or Outlook Express, and the
> LED goes into a rapid flicker -- again, until clicked or whacked on
> desktop.
> Anyone else experience this or have any idea what's going on here?
> I'm out of my depth, and, so apparently, is Dell. (They do get kudos
> for the replacement, but something is very weird.)
>
> Thanks
>
> Travis
>
> PS: "Model HID-compliant mouse" is Model No: M-RAC67B, with a
> prominent "Dell" and an odd "C C- 00560 (!)" the largest "number" on
> it. ("C-" equals a large "E" with a curved upright. "(!)" is a circle
> with an exclamation point in the middle.)
> my system:
> "Dell Dimension 4600" 4-14-04 :
>
> Pentium 4-2.8GHz
> 512MB 333Mhz RAM
> Dell box and board, 8 USB, 3PCI, 1AGP
> Two 40GB hard drives
> CD/DVD-ROM (HL-DT-ST-DVDROM GDR8162B)
> CD/DVD-RW (_NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD)
> 3.5 floppy drive
> nVidia 128MB GeForce FX 5200 add-on graphics card
> (disabled: "Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2")
> 56K PCI fax/modem
> Ethernet 10/100 network card
> Integrated SoundMAX digital audio
> 17-inch flat panel LCD monitor E172FP
> wireless keyboard/mouse
>
> Windows XP, home edition, SP2 (8/04), DirectX9, various Dell software
> pre-installed

The transmitter is USB? Open the USB root hub and check the Power
Management tab, uncheck Allow the system to turn off to save power.

Travis wrote:
> Hi Gang,
>
> I got a Dimension 4600 with a wireless mouse and keyboard last April. About
> December, the mouse began going dead, cursor frozen until key is clicked, wheel
> rotated, or -- when those fail -- the mouse is given a good whack.
>
> I tried everything. Much back and forth with Dell support. New batteries,
> re-installs, different USB port, etc. All fingers pointed to a defective mouse. Dell
> finally replaced entire wireless kit February 10, with new mouse, keyboard and base,
> under warranty. It worked great from February 11 until March 3. It is now doing the
> same old "coma" trip:
>
> Left untouched for a few minutes while working in email, Word, MusicMatch Jukebox,
> or just sitting on Desktop, the cursor freezes in place (or disappears altogether in
> Word or Outlook Express, and the LED goes into a rapid flicker -- again, until
> clicked or whacked on desktop.
>
> Anyone else experience this or have any idea what's going on here? I'm out of my
> depth, and, so apparently, is Dell. (They do get kudos for the replacement, but
> something is very weird.)
>
> Thanks
>
> Travis
>
> PS: "Model HID-compliant mouse" is Model No: M-RAC67B, with a prominent "Dell" and
> an odd "C C- 00560 (!)" the largest "number" on it. ("C-" equals a large "E" with a
> curved upright. "(!)" is a circle with an exclamation point in the middle.)
>
> my system:
> "Dell Dimension 4600" 4-14-04 :
>
> Pentium 4-2.8GHz
> 512MB 333Mhz RAM
> Dell box and board, 8 USB, 3PCI, 1AGP
> Two 40GB hard drives
> CD/DVD-ROM (HL-DT-ST-DVDROM GDR8162B)
> CD/DVD-RW (_NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD)
> 3.5 floppy drive
> nVidia 128MB GeForce FX 5200 add-on graphics card
> (disabled: "Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2")
> 56K PCI fax/modem
> Ethernet 10/100 network card
> Integrated SoundMAX digital audio
> 17-inch flat panel LCD monitor E172FP
> wireless keyboard/mouse
>
> Windows XP, home edition, SP2 (8/04), DirectX9, various Dell software pre-installed

I've noticed the same thing in my Logitech laser mouse. I don't think
it's a "sleep mode" thing, as I can be using it and the cursor refuses
to move. Sometimes turning it off and back on helps. There's a littel
button on the underside to do so. There's also a reset button there too.

Dim. 8400
3.4 ghz
512 megs 533 ram
XP MCE 2005

Tom S.
Houston, TX

Thanks for the suggestion, but merely right or left clicking will usually get it
going again, so actually picking it up and "re-teaching" the base is more of a
hassle and only a last resort. I have no "on/off" or "reset" button. Just the green
button for teaching the base.

> Thanks, Ricky,
>
> I'm afraid if it were that simple, Dell would never have agreed to replace
> my by-then 10-month's old wireless mouse, keyboard and base. They never so
> much as mentioned "sleep mode."

From the dealings I've had with Dell's Tech Support this wouldn't surprise
me in the least.

>> Travis wrote:
>>> Hi Gang,
>>>
>>> I got a Dimension 4600 with a wireless mouse and keyboard last
>>> April.
>>> About December, the mouse began going dead, cursor frozen until key
>>> is clicked, wheel rotated, or -- when those fail -- the mouse is
>>> given a good whack.
>>> I tried everything. Much back and forth with Dell support. New
>>> batteries, re-installs, different USB port, etc. All fingers pointed
>>> to a defective mouse. Dell finally replaced entire wireless kit
>>> February 10, with new mouse, keyboard and base, under warranty. It
>>> worked great from February 11 until March 3. It is now doing the
>>> same
>>> old "coma" trip:
>>> Left untouched for a few minutes while working in email, Word,
>>> MusicMatch Jukebox, or just sitting on Desktop, the cursor freezes
>>> in
>>> place (or disappears altogether in Word or Outlook Express, and the
>>> LED goes into a rapid flicker -- again, until clicked or whacked on
>>> desktop.
>>> Anyone else experience this or have any idea what's going on here?
>>> I'm out of my depth, and, so apparently, is Dell. (They do get kudos
>>> for the replacement, but something is very weird.)
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Travis

I've never had such a problem, but perhaps the mouse doesn't like the
location of base. Maybe if you move closer / higher - there will be
less trouble.
--
Cynthia
I don't read Hotmail - To mail me: cynthiag at canadiensfan dot com

Hi, Cynthia,

The base sits on my desktop even with the mouse, perhaps six to eight inches away.
When it's in a freeze, I can pick the mouse up and flick it with my finger and --
presto -- it comes back while I'm holding it in my hands several feet away from the
base. The focus of the malfunction on the mouse itself is part of what's so strange,
convincing enough that Dell sent me a whole new kit. And yet ...

Thanks for the idea, though,

Travis

"Cynthia G" <cynthiag31DONTREAD@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I've never had such a problem, but perhaps the mouse doesn't like the location of
> base. Maybe if you move closer / higher - there will be less trouble.
> --
> Cynthia
> I don't read Hotmail - To mail me: cynthiag at canadiensfan dot com

Ha, good point, Ricky!

I would have thought hardware replacement cases would be kicked sufficiently far
upstairs that virtually all possible excuses would be offered. But, ya never know.

Like you say, "A little movement should be all it takes to wake it up again."
Occasionally, with the original mouse, a whole LOT of movement, literally scrubbing
the mouse pad for five or ten seconds, would indeed wake it up. More often, though,
nothing short of a right or left click or, when that failed, a gentle (usually)
smack against the mousepad, would bring it back.

I agree that some battery saving scheme, run from within the mouse, has probably
gone haywire. But, why, when I get two haywire mice in a row, aren't more people
complaining about it? 'Just putting up with the "extra click and smack" workaround?

I sent the issue back to Dell and fantasize this reply, "Oh. Bad production run.
Here's the corrected mouse."

> "Travis" <travis_at_charbeneau_dot_net> wrote in message
>> Thanks, Ricky,
>>
>> I'm afraid if it were that simple, Dell would never have agreed to replace my
>> by-then 10-month's old wireless mouse, keyboard and base. They never so much as
>> mentioned "sleep mode."
>
> From the dealings I've had with Dell's Tech Support this wouldn't surprise me in
> the least.

I recently sold a client an IBM desktop with an IBM wireless mouse. It seems to
go into hibernation for too long, taking at least 5 seconds to wake up again.
If there are settings to control the time the mouse hibernates, that would be
kinda nice. I need to check my client's computer for said settings in the
supporting IBM software. Does the Dell wireless mouse have similar settings and
controls? Could this be a question of radio interference from another source?
I don't have any clear answers here, just a curiousity about how to make
wireless mice operate responsively... Ben Myers

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 02:27:11 -0500, "Travis" <travis_at_charbeneau_dot_net>
wrote:

>Hi Gang,
>
>I got a Dimension 4600 with a wireless mouse and keyboard last April. About
>December, the mouse began going dead, cursor frozen until key is clicked, wheel
>rotated, or -- when those fail -- the mouse is given a good whack.
>
>I tried everything. Much back and forth with Dell support. New batteries,
>re-installs, different USB port, etc. All fingers pointed to a defective mouse. Dell
>finally replaced entire wireless kit February 10, with new mouse, keyboard and base,
>under warranty. It worked great from February 11 until March 3. It is now doing the
>same old "coma" trip:
>
>Left untouched for a few minutes while working in email, Word, MusicMatch Jukebox,
>or just sitting on Desktop, the cursor freezes in place (or disappears altogether in
>Word or Outlook Express, and the LED goes into a rapid flicker -- again, until
>clicked or whacked on desktop.
>
>Anyone else experience this or have any idea what's going on here? I'm out of my
>depth, and, so apparently, is Dell. (They do get kudos for the replacement, but
>something is very weird.)
>
>Thanks
>
>Travis
>
>PS: "Model HID-compliant mouse" is Model No: M-RAC67B, with a prominent "Dell" and
>an odd "C C- 00560 (!)" the largest "number" on it. ("C-" equals a large "E" with a
>curved upright. "(!)" is a circle with an exclamation point in the middle.)
>
>my system:
> "Dell Dimension 4600" 4-14-04 :
>
>Pentium 4-2.8GHz
>512MB 333Mhz RAM
>Dell box and board, 8 USB, 3PCI, 1AGP
>Two 40GB hard drives
>CD/DVD-ROM (HL-DT-ST-DVDROM GDR8162B)
>CD/DVD-RW (_NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD)
>3.5 floppy drive
>nVidia 128MB GeForce FX 5200 add-on graphics card
> (disabled: "Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2")
>56K PCI fax/modem
>Ethernet 10/100 network card
>Integrated SoundMAX digital audio
>17-inch flat panel LCD monitor E172FP
>wireless keyboard/mouse
>
>Windows XP, home edition, SP2 (8/04), DirectX9, various Dell software pre-installed

Thanks, Ben,

Having some control over the thing's "sleep mode" and power managment would be nice.
But, as mentioned to another poster above, this is a very plain-vanilla Dell
wireless keyboard and mouse, and each sports only one green "teach" button, with a
single green "learn" button on the base.

I have no source for RFI that I can imagine. There is a Linksys router two feet
distant for my single (usually off) old PC downstairs providing Web to the TV. But
wireless routers are almost as common as wireless mice. RFI also seems unlikely in
that my left/right clicks and smacking the thing on the mousepad brings it back. It
seems odd that any interference would be so cooperative as to be overcome by these
actions, but I'm too ignorant to know. Maybe a Ham radio operator in the
neighborhood putting my mouse to sleep? Yech.

My prime suspect, like yours, is the hibernation scheme, and there's no way to get
at it on the mouse itself, or through Control Panel, etc. In Device Manager "Power
Management" is actually grayed out, and would in any case affect both mouse _and_
keyboard by shutting down the base. The keyboard has always worked fine.

Let me know if you find something with the IBM situation. That's as close as I've
come to hearing of a similar problem. Does the IBM mouse awaken with a right or left
click? Or does it literally require five seconds of movement before coming back to
life?

Best,

Travis