[SOLVED] Wireless N USB Adapter not installing correctly

Aug 10, 2019
Need help with installing a TP-Link TL-WN823N.

My previous wireless USB adapter(Pro-Link) recently broke down so I tried installing a brand new TP link adapter. I followed the instructions and downloaded the drivers from the website.
A restart was required for completing the install but after the restart it says the device was not properly installed.

• I tried this with several USB adapters to no avail, and the program for the TP-Link USB WPS cannot be uninstalled now;
  • It says 802.11n NIC was not properly installed(or something similar);
  • My previous adapter worked fine for several years but suddenly stopped working and was extremely hot when I pulled it out of the USB port.

Any help with installing the USB adapter would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Solution
Uninstall the software. Remove the USB device. Reboot, reinstall the software. Reboot. Then and only then put in the USB device...

This was as so a problem in the 90's with an external modem the name of which I have long forgotten.
Aug 10, 2019
Intel Core i5-3330
MoBo - Gigabyte H61M-DS2 4.0
Memory - 8 GB

I tried installing then reinstalling multiple times; a program associated with the TP Link Adapter cannot be uninstalled now(TP-Link TL WN823N) - keeps saying something went wrong with the installation.

A program also keeps interfering with the installation: SmaRT-Protection, Smadav 2018 Rev 12.3. Should I uninstall it?

Also: I'm using my iPhone as an internet hotspot via USB connection, so the ports still work, at least for my phone.

Last edited:
So it sounds like you are running a Trend Micro Firewall Endpoint Protection and Smadav Antivirus. I could see the Trend Micro software possibly throwing some fits, but not an AV. In a perfect would, the software would at least prompt to confirm what you are doing instead of just cancelling your install. You will probably have to uninstall both, install the Netgear software, then re-install your other software.

Aug 10, 2019
Uninstalled the Smadav(don't have the TrendMicro installed, I think) but the installation still failed. Restarted after the install with the same result.
Short of a Windows reinstall, any other possible solutions? Regedit or some other PC voodoo thing?

Aug 10, 2019
I looked at the device manager and these three devices had the yellow exclamation point:
  • 802.11n NIC
  • PCI Simple Communications Controller
  • SM Bus Controller

Tried updating the drivers for these but windows could not find corresponding drivers. I suspect my problem may be related to these.

Aug 10, 2019
As per advice on another forum, I installed motherboard chipset drivers so now only the 802.11c NIC device remains with the exclamation point. The computer doesn't recognize the device even after software installation. 'Scanning for hardware changes' only results in the driver not being found. :(

mgaissert

Prominent
Oct 16, 2017
Uninstall the software. Remove the USB device. Reboot, reinstall the software. Reboot. Then and only then put in the USB device...

This was as so a problem in the 90's with an external modem the name of which I have long forgotten.

Solution
Aug 10, 2019
Same result. :(

A weird thing happens when I insert the USB adapter: It beeps rapidly 3 times "dootdootdoot" instead of the usual ""doot dit" when inserting a USB device in any of the ports.

Aug 10, 2019
I was using a Pro-Link device without any problems for several years until it crapped out about a week ago - it was burning hot when I pulled it out. I suspect my mobo has a few issues since it's also several years old. But my iPhone still works as a hotspot so the ports still work. I'm actually looking for the previous brand I was using (Pro-Link) but no luck finding it nearby. I'll have the time to go look for it this weekend.

Aug 10, 2019
I bought a D-Link Wireless N Nano USB Adapter and it installed perfectly. I didn't even need to restart my PC. So I guess the problem is the TP-Link device.

I recommend NOT buying the TP-Link USB Adapter. Damned thing almost gave me a stroke.