[SOLVED] Wireless network adapter for gaming.

Noiz1212

Reputable
Jun 19, 2016
I'm renting an apartment and they have wireless internet down to my basement. Gaming on it has been suprisingly good, but sometimes I get huge spikes.

I bought a cheap Asus AC53 Nano at the local store when I first moved in, but recently I've been considering something more powerful.

According to Windows I'm getting 75 - 79 % signal strenght, but according to netstat it's 40% and -63 DB. Would upgrading to something like Asus AC68 help with my connection?

I don't know anything about the router other than it being an AC one. I was also considering the TP-Link Archer T9UH or even the TP-Link Archer TX3000E.

I'll most likely move within the next 6 months, so this is just a quick solution.

Solution
Those tiny nano adapters perform like crap even when they are made by large well known companies. The $5 ones you can get off amazon and ebay perform even worse.

The main problem is the tiny antenna and being a USB adapter many times low power to save battery...which of course does not matter on a desktop.

The best option tends to be internal cards with remote antenna like you list. This solve the problem of radio power and allows you to place the much larger antenna away from the back of the case.

I would avoid wifi6 unless you plan to use it today. Wifi6e will be on the market soon and make all wifi6 devices obsolete.

There are no guarantees with wifi unfortunately. It should be better but some houses absorb huge amounts...
Those tiny nano adapters perform like crap even when they are made by large well known companies. The $5 ones you can get off amazon and ebay perform even worse.

The main problem is the tiny antenna and being a USB adapter many times low power to save battery...which of course does not matter on a desktop.

The best option tends to be internal cards with remote antenna like you list. This solve the problem of radio power and allows you to place the much larger antenna away from the back of the case.

I would avoid wifi6 unless you plan to use it today. Wifi6e will be on the market soon and make all wifi6 devices obsolete.

There are no guarantees with wifi unfortunately. It should be better but some houses absorb huge amounts of wifi energy.

Solution

Noiz1212

Reputable
Jun 19, 2016
Think I'm going for the TP-Link TX3000E, cause they have it at my local store (at sale) with a 100% 45 day money back, so I'll just give it a go. I doubt the people I'm renting at has Wifi 6, but it should be an improvement over the Nano either way.

Thanks for the input.