Wireless network advice...

ahall

I am considering buying a I9200 to have as
a portable desktop in our home. The large
screen appeals.

I have never used a wireless net, and have some
basic questions:

1) Is there any reason to buy the Dell 1450 (a, b, and g)
over the 1350 (b, g)? Are there any places that have
only a "a" wireless net?

2) I have a standard wired router, so I do not think I
need a wireless router. I think I need a wireless
transmitter that I can plug into the open plug in the
wired router. What is that called (access point)? What
is a good brand.

3) How do I "ensure" security on the wireless network?

Thanks in advance,

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

See below
<ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message

> I am considering buying a I9200 to have as
> a portable desktop in our home. The large
> screen appeals.
>
> I have never used a wireless net, and have some
> basic questions:
>
> 1) Is there any reason to buy the Dell 1450 (a, b, and g)
> over the 1350 (b, g)? Are there any places that have
> only a "a" wireless net?

No, a is outdated. B/G is fine

> 2) I have a standard wired router, so I do not think I
> need a wireless router. I think I need a wireless
> transmitter that I can plug into the open plug in the
> wired router. What is that called (access point)? What
> is a good brand.

While you're right, Access Points are more than Wireless Routers. Buy the
Linksys WRT54G or the newer verison. About $70.

> 3) How do I "ensure" security on the wireless network?

Too long for a discussion here. Do a google search on WEP, WPA, SSID
broadcast, etc. and you'll find a wealth on information.

> Thanks in advance,
>

> --
> Andrew Hall
> (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

ahall

>> 2) I have a standard wired router, so I do not think I
>> need a wireless router. I think I need a wireless
>> transmitter that I can plug into the open plug in the
>> wired router. What is that called (access point)? What
>> is a good brand.

Tom> While you're right, Access Points are more than Wireless Routers. Buy the
Tom> Linksys WRT54G or the newer verison. About $70.

My guess was that they were less. I will check out the
Linksys, and see.

>> 3) How do I "ensure" security on the wireless network?

Tom> Too long for a discussion here. Do a google search on WEP, WPA, SSID
Tom> broadcast, etc. and you'll find a wealth on information.

Are the security setup needs described in the Linksys manual?

Thank you for your very prompt response,

--

> >> 2) I have a standard wired router, so I do not think I
> >> need a wireless router. I think I need a wireless
> >> transmitter that I can plug into the open plug in the
> >> wired router. What is that called (access point)? What
> >> is a good brand.
>
> Tom> While you're right, Access Points are more than Wireless Routers.
> Buy the
> Tom> Linksys WRT54G or the newer verison. About $70.
>
> My guess was that they were less. I will check out the
> Linksys, and see.
>
> >> 3) How do I "ensure" security on the wireless network?
>
> Tom> Too long for a discussion here. Do a google search on WEP, WPA,
> SSID
> Tom> broadcast, etc. and you'll find a wealth on information.
>
> Are the security setup needs described in the Linksys manual?
>
> Thank you for your very prompt response,
>

> --
> Andrew Hall
> (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

linksys does a pretty good job explaining the security features. I'd read
everything on their site www.linksys.com too.

http://www.ozcableguy.com/wireless.html

Brian

> 2) I have a standard wired router, so I do not think I
> need a wireless router. I think I need a wireless
> transmitter that I can plug into the open plug in the
> wired router. What is that called (access point)? What
> is a good brand.
>
> 3) How do I "ensure" security on the wireless network?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>

> --
> Andrew Hall
> (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

ahall

>> ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message
news> kpgy8fai5v3.fsf@panix2.panix.com...

Tom> While you're right, Access Points are more than Wireless Routers.
>> Buy the
Tom> Linksys WRT54G or the newer verison. About $70.
>>
>> My guess was that they were less. I will check out the
>> Linksys, and see.

Tom> Too long for a discussion here. Do a google search on WEP, WPA,
>> SSID
Tom> broadcast, etc. and you'll find a wealth on information.
>>
>> Are the security setup needs described in the Linksys manual?
>>
>> Thank you for your very prompt response,

Tom> linksys does a pretty good job explaining the security features. I'd read
Tom> everything on their site www.linksys.com too.

Yes, I spend some time there yesterday, and some other
sites explaining security and setup.

I still think what I need is an access point, not a router,
but I will read further.

Thanks again,

--

> >> ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message
> news> kpgy8fai5v3.fsf@panix2.panix.com...

> Tom> While you're right, Access Points are more than Wireless Routers.
> >> Buy the
> Tom> Linksys WRT54G or the newer verison. About $70.
> >>
> >> My guess was that they were less. I will check out the
> >> Linksys, and see.

> Tom> Too long for a discussion here. Do a google search on WEP, WPA,
> >> SSID
> Tom> broadcast, etc. and you'll find a wealth on information.
> >>
> >> Are the security setup needs described in the Linksys manual?
> >>
> >> Thank you for your very prompt response,
>
> Tom> linksys does a pretty good job explaining the security features.
> I'd read
> Tom> everything on their site www.linksys.com too.
>
> Yes, I spend some time there yesterday, and some other
> sites explaining security and setup.
>
> I still think what I need is an access point, not a router,
> but I will read further.
>
> Thanks again,
>

> --
> Andrew Hall
> (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

You're right, in that you already have a router, but it is cheaper to stop
using your existing router and to use a new Wireless Router.

ahall

http> www.ozcableguy.com/wireless.html

Thanks for the link, it looks like just
what I need.