Wireless Network Card "Broken" still works

Thijs Verstraete

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014
Hey,

Recently I had some problems with my wireless connection.

First of all I've read about 20 threads, so the most "mainstream" sollutions I've tried.

Current state of things: The wireless signal is perfect 5/5 blocks.
But the internetspeed is horrible. Downstairs (on a wire) I have about 3,5 Megabyte/s downloadspeed.
Now here on the first floor I have 0,050 - 0,200 Megabyte/s.

I started using one of those USB network receivers & here's the weird part.

DL speed with my wireless network card = 50 kilobyte/s (the network 5/5 blocks hoovering 48Megabit/s)
DL speed with USB receiver = 2 Megabyte/s (also 5/5 blocks 48megabit/s connection)

So my question .. how can I fix this? Is my network card in my computer broken? (apparently not since it's still receiving a perfect signal, just sucking away my internetspeed)

some could say "Your problem is fixed why ask?"
Because I'm interested & not prepared to spend the rest of my time using the usb stick.

Greetings from Belgium

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
If like many plug in cards you have the antenna out the back, may be getting interference from from all the power cords in the area, i.e. prob have PSU, monitor, speaker, printer, phone, etc power cords all in the area, maybe a UPS, light cord and other they can affect the wireless signal

Thijs Verstraete

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014
That might've been it, my card is on the back & I plugged the usb stick in the front. (but still both are getting a 5/5 signal, so that would be rather strange, wouldn't it?)

I've searched for drivers but i've come up empty to be honest