"wireless network connection status" shown 5.5 mbps but downloading speed 212 kbps

Mrranik10

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
I am rabbi. I download files with IDM (Internet Download Manager)...

I have some problems in wireleess speed. I Describ it below :

at first I go to "network and sharing center" then go to "wireless network connection status". I seen my wireless speed is 5.5 mbps ang go to a website named " speedtest.net ". select begim test then I seen that :

Ping : 22 ms
Download speed : 5.59 Mbps
Upload Speed : 2.84 Mbps

But when I download a file then my speed is 206 KB/sec.

Now what I do for download speed ???

gilaphreak

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015
Note that the Mbps from your speed test is going to be in Megabits, which differs from a Megabyte.

A byte contains 8 bits, so with a 5.59 megabit connection, you're getting:

5.590Mbits/8 bits = 0.698MByte/s

So you're actually getting 698KB/s worth of speed from that test. Most service providers offer some sort of "boost" technology that they advertise as their speed, when it's only a short burst, and then it's throttled back to a lower number. This works great for getting webpages, etc. But whenever you're downloading files, you won't see their advertised speed; because it's not a constant.

This also could be hampered by the source that you're downloading from. If it caps it's feeds off at a certain amount, then you won't be able to download the full speed - even with a download manager running several different feeds.

Mrranik10

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
So, how can I increase my download speed ?

My download speed was 2.5 MB/sec yesterday but today it is 106-2036 KB/sec

So what I do for IDM to increase speed ?

Mrranik10

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
"gilaphreak" , you want to say that I worth 0.678 KB/sec from this test. But I turn off all applications and then download but the speed is same.

gilaphreak

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015
That's just the nature of the syntax. Bits and bytes are different sizes. It's like comparing inches to feet. 12 inches in a foot, 8 bits in a byte.

When we see download speed on our side, it's measured in bytes; since you don't store information on your drives in bits. However, the ISP measures speed in bits; since they're sending raw data through the lines.

Your 698KBytes/s IS the 5.590MBits that you see on your speed test. They are the same thing, just converted into a different unit of measurement.

Your download speed won't always be constant. Peak times are usually slower since there are a lot of people on, so the lower download speed that you're seeing may not be a result of you running other applications that are using the line. Also, some servers will limit traffic to the single user depending on the amount of users they have downloading; so it's possible that it's not even on your side.

If the download source isn't the problem, and you've got a clear connection; then there is no way to increase your speed, rather than getting a faster plan from your ISP.

Mrranik10

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
now my speed is 43 Mbps but download speed is 206-259 KB/sec and there are speed limiter off. What I do in his time ???