Wireless Network Help

Finair14

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
Hello
I have a very long shaped house which has a router at one end and gets very little connection at the other end (where me pc is) I have been trying to find the best way to get a strong wireless connection to my pc. What would be the most cost effective way to get a good internet connection to my pc

Solution

That is completely wrong. For the most part, an Ethernet cable will work at the rated link speed or won't work at all; the range between 'works perfectly' and 'doesn't work at all' is very very narrow.

Use a Cat 5e or better pre-built cable (or learn how to build them correctly), stay under 100 meters, and you are pretty much golden. Incorrectly constructed cables, or cables near their maximum length (somewhere just over 100 meters) can exhibit poor performance, but follow the rules and you will have the full data rate (100 Mbps or 1000 Mbps) all the...

Finair14

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013

Hello Man of Chalk
Thanks for your quick reply
I have though of Using a long ethernet cable However I have heard that speeds on long ethernet cables are worse than wireless and the cable length that i would need would be longer that 30 metres.
What would now be your suggestion

A standard CAT6 is rated to work fine up to 100m, with 3rd party (no official standard yet) CAT6e cables going even further.
You could also try Ethernet Over Power or Powerline solution. It basically uses the power points in your house to run a faux Ethernet signal. Plug one end into your router and into a wall socket, then plug the other end into the wall socket near your PC and run an Ethernet cable from that.

If you stick with wireless, most I can think is to have a Wireless Repeater between the PC and router to "extend" the range of your wireless network, or get a router with an outright stronger signal.

That is completely wrong. For the most part, an Ethernet cable will work at the rated link speed or won't work at all; the range between 'works perfectly' and 'doesn't work at all' is very very narrow.

Use a Cat 5e or better pre-built cable (or learn how to build them correctly), stay under 100 meters, and you are pretty much golden. Incorrectly constructed cables, or cables near their maximum length (somewhere just over 100 meters) can exhibit poor performance, but follow the rules and you will have the full data rate (100 Mbps or 1000 Mbps) all the way up to 100 meters.

Solution