Wireless network/no modem apartment

Milanna

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm probably just not wording my question well enough to find the answer.

My apartment has cable internet included by just plugging the Ethernet cable into the wall. But there's only one so either I get to internets, or my boyfriend gets to Playstation, but not both at the same time (well, I can use the internet from my phone a bit, but it's pretty slow). I want to set up a wireless network but I don't have access to the router since it's an apartment... just the plug in the wall.

Is there some way to do this?

Solution
Make sure to get a wireless router that has built in security. Some wireless routers usually can operate directly out of the box, but they are not secured by default. routers from other manufacturers usually have open networks and common administrative passwords. Make sure to have a decent password setup as this is an open invitation to anyone in the vicinity to simply search and connect to your network with ease, thus jeopardizing your data and even utilizing your expensive Internet bandwidth.

I have Belkin N300 which is a good router with up to 4 connections.
You need a power source close to the router. Plug in the Ethernet link to your wall socket from the router and power it up. Your system should recognize your router and here is...

Hi Milanna :bounce:

You will need a network hub or better still a router of your own. Wireless or not the choice is yours.
First check with the apartment manager if they will allow 2 connections as some don't. Your router will allow for private network sharing via homegroup settings.

Kiril_Petkov

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
The answer is easy get router Wi-Fi is better you could connect device w/o need of cable and most Wi-Fi router still have 4 port LAN switch (meaning 4 devices still could be connect via cable). Any router should do it and the price is not high prob 10-15$. To set up the router that will requare some skills but you could always ask for help.

Milanna

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Thanks for the answers. I don't quite understand... I can just plug a router in to the wall as normal?

I know I'm so dense about this... I've only ever done this at my house and not an apartment before so I'm not sure how/if it's different. I kind of wanted to go with wireless since our phones have limited data and I hope to get an iPad soon.

Make sure to get a wireless router that has built in security. Some wireless routers usually can operate directly out of the box, but they are not secured by default. routers from other manufacturers usually have open networks and common administrative passwords. Make sure to have a decent password setup as this is an open invitation to anyone in the vicinity to simply search and connect to your network with ease, thus jeopardizing your data and even utilizing your expensive Internet bandwidth.

I have Belkin N300 which is a good router with up to 4 connections.
You need a power source close to the router. Plug in the Ethernet link to your wall socket from the router and power it up. Your system should recognize your router and here is a link to setting it up should you decide to go with Belkin. http://www.belkin.com/au/support-article?articleNum=10829

Its not too difficult and i'm sure both of you can sort it out. Go the WWW.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS