Question Wireless Network Options in New Home

Aiyok

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2013
Hello everyone!

I just moved into a new home and the only Ethernet port in the house is in the kitchen which is where the modem/router is plugged in. Now that I can't hardwire my PC, I had to buy a wifi adapter because I didn't install one when building it last year. I bought a cheap USB dongle to hold me over originally which was obviously slow. Then I purchased the ASUS PCE-AC88 Dual-Band 4x4 AC3100 WiFi PCIe adapter. It is definitely an improvement but not consistent or nearly as fast as other devices like my laptop. I have 1G Windstream fiber. My laptop averages around 5-700mbps and my desktop fluctuates anywhere from 50-300mbps.

I've toyed with the idea of doing a mesh system but wasn't sure if that wasn't the best answer so I was hoping to get some feedback before making a purchase.

Thanks in advance!!

Hello everyone!

I just moved into a new home and the only Ethernet port in the house is in the kitchen which is where the modem/router is plugged in. Now that I can't hardwire my PC, I had to buy a wifi adapter because I didn't install one when building it last year. I bought a cheap USB dongle to hold me over originally which was obviously slow. Then I purchased the ASUS PCE-AC88 Dual-Band 4x4 AC3100 WiFi PCIe adapter. It is definitely an improvement but not consistent or nearly as fast as other devices like my laptop. I have 1G Windstream fiber. My laptop averages around 5-700mbps and my desktop fluctuates anywhere from 50-300mbps.

I've toyed with the idea of doing a mesh system but wasn't sure if that wasn't the best answer so I was hoping to get some feedback before making a purchase.

Thanks in advance!!
Full system speccs that wifi card maybe to powerful for the system doubt it if it's a system only a year old but. Depends on the system

Aiyok

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2013
Full system speccs that wifi card maybe to powerful for the system doubt it if it's a system only a year old but. Depends on the system

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NZsQTJ

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor ($358.35 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($44.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($165.84 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($84.52 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($84.52 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($83.99 @ Western Digital)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB GAMING OC 3X Video Card ($1925.98 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($116.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Corsair)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC88 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($103.99 @ Walmart)
Case Fan: Thermaltake Pure ARGB TT Premium Edition 56.45 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack ($64.19 @ Amazon)
Total: $3165.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-12-03 14:47 EST-0500

kanewolf

Titan
Hello everyone!

Thanks in advance!!
There are no GREAT options without some kind of wire. If the house has coax, then you could look at MoCA. If you own the house, I would investigate paying a professional to run ethernet cabling.

Reactions: white.a.drew
FYI, MESH will not give you good bandwidth, it'll give you a connection around the house, but mesh systems have terrible bandwidth.

Where does that ethernet connection in the kitchen lead to? Does it go to a basement or a cable closet/panel of some sort? Perhaps a central point where your coax cables reside?

Aiyok

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2013
Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm actually able to have my router moved by the ISP and they are going to run the fiber into the room where my PC is. Thanks for your help!