Wireless Network Priority?

Feb 14, 2018
I have a "power user" question. My ancient Acer All-in-One was one of the first devices to come out with Windows 7(x64). I set it up on a home network and was happy with it for years, replacing cheap SATA 1tb hard drives every couple of years. It has successfully upgraded to Windows 10 latest "Creators Update" releases, but ...

When Windows first was set up, it took the name of the Wireless connection as the "Network Name" which seems to still dominate things. I use an Ethernet switch on my router as the primary source for connectivity, but occasionally want to use the 2.4 Ghz radio on this machine to talk to a wireless network that is less powerful than the one it has become habituated to use. When I try to switch to that network, which I was initially able to configure and create a connection for, it always and quite immediately switches itself back to the network hosted on my router.

I can "unplug things" and delete connections, but I need a way to tell my computer "on the fly" Ok. stop looking at Ethernet, and the wireless connection to my router, and only use this less powerful wireless connection to the internet. Now, switch back. Don't reboot, don't take more than a couple of commands to accomplish my task.

I've identified some "script the .DLL's" tricks which perport to solve my problem, but running a shell script to switch everything around, and another to switch pack is still a major PITA to set up, test, and invoke every time.

Does Windows 10 Professional offer me a "way out" of this box?

Solution

It turns out that 16299.244 release of Windows 10 "fixes the problem" on my new portable. It used to be the case that there was no way to get this functionality and keep the stored network passwords.
Feb 14, 2018

Yeah, sure, but I use three different networks regularly via wireless, and if I de-select the "connect automatically" I end up having to re-enter cryptic nonsense passwords every time I want to connect to one of the networks. That is a PITA, thank you Microsoft! It was not a problem with earlier releases of Windows...

I hear you, but after several times of putting in the passwords, mine have remembered them. Any way you slice it though, security is a PITA, even the most stringent security advocates will admit that. Necessary but still a PITA no doubt.

Feb 14, 2018

It turns out that 16299.244 release of Windows 10 "fixes the problem" on my new portable. It used to be the case that there was no way to get this functionality and keep the stored network passwords.

Solution