Wireless Networks Disconnecting

Jan 30, 2019
Hi, I have recently moved into a new apartment this month and brought my desktop I use, however after I moved in I found out they do not offer ethernet ports. I built my desktop about 4 years ago not ever thinking I would need a wireless card, however I do now. After going through 2 wireless adapters, I ended up getting an ASUS PCE-AC88 as my apartment complex offers both 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi. Around this time I also decided to reformat my pc to windows 7 ultimate 64-bit for better fps in cs:go (as I was also having a number of issues with windows 10).

Now, randomly my wifi will disconnect and will not reconnect to any other network. Most of the time when it disconnects, it lags when I try to click on the wireless icon to choose a network and it won't bring up the window to do so. Most of the time it will tell me that there are no networks within range (even though before hand I had a full 5 bar signal to 20 networks), or sometimes it will show one connection where I have 1 bar of signal. If all of my networks do show up, if I try to connect with any of them, it will tell me that I am unable to connect. I have to end up going through the windows network diagnostic for it to reset my wireless adapter, where after that I am able to join any network again no problem. Even sometimes in the diagnostic, it will tell me that either my wireless card is not plugged in, or that it is disabled.

I know that 5ghz connections have a hard time going through walls, however I am able to get a 5 bar signal to the router. And this problem occurs on any network (2.4ghz or 5ghz) so I know it can't be a problem with that. I have searched on the internet for hours for fixes and have done pretty much everything I could find: changing my power options for the adapter to maximum performance, turning off the windows option to turn off the adapter, turning off the minimum power consumption option on the adapter, setting the ipv4 addresses for the specific connection, making changes in the registry editor, installing the driver from the disc, and installing the newest driver from the website.

No matter what I try, it just seems to disconnect me randomly at any point in time. I have been dealing with this for quite a few days now, and it makes playing competitive cs:go impossible as it will just randomly time me out.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

ASK THE COMMUNITY