Wireless PoE for security cameras

bcastle

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
I have been looking at all kinds of security cameras for the outside of my house and right now I'm looking at putting up 2-4 cameras of the IP variety (leaning towards Mobotix). All of their IP cameras use PoE. My dual band router is in the front of the house and the cameras will be on the back side of the garage and patio about 50-60 feet max from router to camera. You basically go out the back door, cross a covered patio and enter the garage from there and camera will be on the opposite side where you would drive in at. I understand the basics of plugging an ethernet cable from the camer to a PoE switch, but how do I get from the switch to the wireless router? Use a wireless access point? Is there a simpler way? My router is wired to the PS3 and Roku (i think). The closest I can feasibly move the router is 35 ft away from the furthest camera to a spot in the kitchen/dinning room. Are there wireless access points that are PoE. I don't think my desktop would have enough power to make it a full on NVR and do all the signal stuff which is why i'm looking at robotix.Hard wiring the switch to the router will be a PITA even if I relocate to the kitchen. Also does anyone know of slightly cheaper cameras that do the NVR thing at the camera end like Robotix?
Thanks

The easiest way to do this is to run a cable from the switch to your router. There are PoE access points, but having set up several wireless bridges, I do not recommend them. If you are insistent then buy some purpose-built hardware from someone like ubiquiti: http://www.ubnt.com/products/

bcastle

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013

Would it go camera > ethernet cable> injector> ethernet cable> wireless router in the garage > wireless router in house > Desk top for viewing

I think you and me are have different deffinitions for PoE.
I am referring to PoE as "Power over Ethernet", where end-point equipment is powered over Ethernet cable from PoE switch (using spare pairs in the cable).
It seems that you mean "PowerLine Ethernet", where Ethernet signals are transimtted over in-house power lines.
So, let's clarify this issue first.