Wireless port forwarding

Ayush_Wesker

Honorable
Aug 26, 2015
I am using Reliance Jio internet(India). I need to forward ports on my computer to play games but i cant do that. When i copy the default gateway address 192.168.43.1 it says page not found. How can I forward my port? I am using wifi created through my phone's hotspot.

Solution
192.168.x.x is an IP address range reserved for private networks. That is, nobody on the Internet is allowed to have a public IP address in that range, meaning everyone is free to use it on their private networks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

If the gateway for your phone's hotspot is 192.168.43.1, that means your phone's carrier is assigning its phone users IP addresses on its private LAN, which then connects to the internet via a public IP address. Unfortunately this situation is going to become more common now that we've run out of IPv4 addresses.

The bottom line is that port forwarding will not work. Basically, your phone is not connected directly to the Internet.
It is sitting behind your phone carrier's...
192.168.x.x is an IP address range reserved for private networks. That is, nobody on the Internet is allowed to have a public IP address in that range, meaning everyone is free to use it on their private networks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

If the gateway for your phone's hotspot is 192.168.43.1, that means your phone's carrier is assigning its phone users IP addresses on its private LAN, which then connects to the internet via a public IP address. Unfortunately this situation is going to become more common now that we've run out of IPv4 addresses.

The bottom line is that port forwarding will not work. Basically, your phone is not connected directly to the Internet.
It is sitting behind your phone carrier's main router on your phone carrier's LAN. And to successfully port forward, not only would you need to port forward on your router/phone, you would also need to port forward on your phone carrier's router. And they're not going to let you do that.

You might be able to accomplish what you want if you subscribe to a VPN service that gives you a public IP address. A VPN lets you tunnel your Internet connection. So right now, when you browse a website, your packet goes to your phone, then to your ISP, then to the Internet at large. With a VPN, your packet would be put in an envelope, sent through your phone, ISP, and the Internet at large to the VPN. The VPN would unpack the envelope, and transmit your packet as if it were being transmitted from the VPN. Basically it makes your computer look like it's on the VPN's network instead of your ISP's network.

Solution

Ayush_Wesker

Honorable
Aug 26, 2015

Well it explains a lot. Can you tell me what VPNs I can use and if they are free or not? Can you also guide me step by step through anyone of them? And thanks for the info there. Appreciate it!

VPNs are a much larger topic than port forwarding. There are thousands of VPN vendors out there each with their own way to set it up, a half dozen different VPN protocols you can use, and different ways to set up each of those on each operating system. Your question is kinda like asking "can you tell me which car models I can buy, and a step by step guide on how to drive one." Yes we could, but we'd basically be writing a 100-200 page book. This could be as easy as subscribing to a VPN service and enabling your phone's built-in VPN client. Or it could require you to subscribe, configure the VPN service, install software on your computer, configure it, then connect the two.

The better VPN vendors have their own setup guides for different OSes based on how they've implemented their VPN servers, which should make the task of setting it up easier for the newbie. Try asking in the VPN forum for recommendations on a cheap VPN service with easy setup. Be sure to mention you're doing this to port forward for games, as not all VPNs allow all ports to be forwarded (many are designed simply to act as web browsing proxies).
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/42/vpn.html

Maybe you have the option of getting a public IP from your phone vendor. Then it would just be the challenge of port forwarding on a phone hotspot.

Even if they offer this there likely will be a extra charge.

What you need is a public internet address assigned just to you. Most VPN services do not offer that service. The ones that do charge extra for it. Last time I looked into doing something like this it was cheaper to use a VPS service in which you lease a virutal server which they have pre loaded a vpn server function on it. Running your own VPN server though is not really a beginner project.

Ayush_Wesker

Honorable
Aug 26, 2015

Thanks for the help. I'll look into it.