Wireless problems! Help please!

Nickolie

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
I have a belkin Wireless G Plus Mimo router, with my desktop hardwired up to it.

The router is in my room, and I want my Dads laptop downstairs to have internet access.

A few months ago it worked fine, fast speeds, infact the same speeds (even though signal strength was low...) i was getting from my wired connection. But then it all stopped, the laptops internet speeds dropped dramatically, and now im lucky to get the internet up without it timing out!

I havent made any changes to the network settings, nor to the laptop or home computer.

The Laptop is an Acer Aspire 5050 which has a Atheros AR5007EG wireless network adapter, running Windows XP Home and so is my desktop...

I really can't work it out and im really fed up of it.

I bought a Belkin Repeater and thats a bag of s**t. When ever i get it set up it cuts out the internet! I dont get it!

Help will be much appreciated!!! I will be forever in debt to the person who helps me!

Cheers,

Nick

sisley_111

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Do you have a 2.4GHz phone or wireless headphone in this frequency range. Or maybe a new wireless network from your neighbour ?

If so, try to change channel for the wireless (take 1, 6 or 11, non-overlapping).

Nickolie

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008

Thanks this worked a charm, much appreciated.

Nick

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
Yup, alot of people leave the default settings, which is fine if nobody else around has wireless in the same range... but they can interfere with each other.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS