wireless question

ronco05

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
i am trying to install a wireless connection between 2 computers to share a cable internet access.i tried linksys and could not get it to work.i tried dlink and got everything set up but i could not get the 2 computers to talk to each other.i called dlink tech support and i was told my motherboard was not 2.2 compliant.i have a FIC PA2013 with a AMD K6-2 450 proccessor.is there any way around this?a wired connection is not an option for me.thanks.

bob333

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2003
I had problems with my wireless hub too. The solution to the linksys hub is to get rid of that stupid program that it has on it. By disableing the program you turn the hub into just a hub. That program assigns ip adresses and a whole bunch of other crap. Just disable the program and it should work. Then set up a windows networking group deal.

ronco05

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
the task bar monitor tells me i have a 90% signal strength,but i am not getting any connection.also the led on the the back of the pci card is not lit.i have already tried 2 cards.

bob333

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2003
A few general ideas that may help you find the problem.
It sounds like a software problem
software:
are the computers in the same work group?
Run network set up wizard on both computers.
It might be that you didnt install the software that came with the wireless conection correctly on either computer.
Hardware:
Is the card compadable with the slot you are sticking it into?
the instruction manual will tell you what the LED means

ronco05

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
i am using a wireless router.i tried linksys and dlink.the router i hooked up and got running with no problem.its the pci card thats giving me all the trouble.

ronco05

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
the led means there is power to the card or that a link is established.dlink and linksys tech support tell me my motherboard is not 2.2 compliant.thats why it wont work.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I don't know why you're ignoring me. Anyway, I'll try one last time. Are you getting an IP address? What is the address you're getting?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

NurseMSIC

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
i would suspect IP addresses too (i'm not ignoring you). Also check the 'workgroup', make sure the two computers have the same workgroup name.
Other things to check:
Do you have a firewall like ZoneAlarm installed? If so (as was a problem for stupid me for 5 minutes) disable it.

Another thing : Windows 2000 is SOOOOOO much easier to work with than Win 98. Don't know about XP but imagine it's easy.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=19557" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=19557</A>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I know you weren't ignoring me, I was referring to the original poster. AFA workgroup, you have to start bottom up. If you're not getting an IP address from the DHCP server, you've most likely got a physical problem.

NurseMSIC

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2001
True. Can you ping the IP address?

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=19557" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=19557</A>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
well, (I wish the original poster would answer) pinging the "IP address" is a little ambiguous. I'm looking more towards whether or not they've got a legit IP address form the server. If it's something like 169.254.XXX.XXX thats no good. Thats a default address the client inserts when it can't get one.

I think what you meant to say was can you ping the default gateway, or can you ping yourself.

But, lets hope the original poster answers our questions, otherwise it's academic.