Question Wireless Repeater

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
I need a router, preferably budget, that I can set up as wireless repeater. I can not set up this router using a Ethernet cable due to certain restrictions. Can anyone help, please ?

kanewolf

Titan
I need a router, preferably budget, that I can set up as wireless repeater. I can not set up this router using a Ethernet cable due to certain restrictions. Can anyone help, please ?
I think most routers, to convert to a repeater require a wired connection for setup.
Asus would be my recommendation, but it does require a wired connection for configuration.

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
I think most routers, to convert to a repeater require a wired connection for setup.
Asus would be my recommendation, but it does require a wired connection for configuration.
I have seen on youtube, that some routers does not need a wired connection to set up wireless repeater. But the one used in the video is too costly. I was wondering are there budget ones ?

kanewolf

Titan
I have seen on youtube, that some routers does not need a wired connection to set up wireless repeater. But the one used in the video is too costly. I was wondering are there budget ones ?
You can't borrow the use of an ethernet enabled device to do configuration ?
If WPS is enabled on the base router you could use that, but the default behavior of a router is to be a router with a wired input. To convert to a WIFI repeater requires logging in and changing the behavior in the GUI. Most routers have WIFI admin disabled by default.

kanewolf

Titan
I can not run a ethernet cable from the base router due to how the apartment is arranged. The base router is the only one that has ethernet cable.
That is not required. All that is required is a laptop or PC to wired connect to the router desired to be a repeater for configuration only. No cable between the two devices.
Once you have logged in, created the admin password, etc then you can configure the device to be a wireless repeater via the ethernet connected PC/laptop.

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
That is not required. All that is required is a laptop or PC to wired connect to the router desired to be a repeater for configuration only. No cable between the two devices.
Once you have logged in, created the admin password, etc then you can configure the device to be a wireless repeater via the ethernet connected PC/laptop.
But does the repeater-router have WiFi compability or just wired ? What if I were to connect Ipad or cellphone ?