Question Wireless repeating a weak signal

Aug 7, 2019
Hi Everyone,

First time posting on your forum, certainly looks like if there is a solution to my issue I am in the right place for it! :)

Here's the issue... My parents live on a river, on their side of the river the broadband max speed is 1-2mbps, on the opposite side they get 40+mbps. There are no plans to connect fibre broadband on their side of the river anytime soon, which means slow internet speed is just something they have had to learn to live with. I was setting up an amazon firestick for them this weekend so that my dad could watch netflix (this is just about possible on their wifi as long as nobody else is on a computer!) and I noticed that the hotel on the opposite side of the rivers network was listed as a network within range of the house. The hotel is approx 400m away and broadcasts wifi to the marina in front of it. I was able to connect to their network (not password protected) on my phone to test but the signal was very weak at 400m from the hotel so there wasn't much difference in speed to Mum and Dads wifi and it dropped out a lot.

Which leads me to my question (and apologies for any terminology I get wrong here)... is there something I can buy which will be able to reach into area within the marina where the signal is good and repeat the signal to my parents house? I don't think there are many other wireless networks which would be picked up and there is a clear line of site to the hotel from the house which I assume is a good thing to stop interference?

Appreciate any advice you can offer please and if it isn't possible - hey ho, I tried!

J

Ralston18

Titan
Unless you are a quest at the hotel or otherwise make some arrangement to "share" their network your plan is basically theft. Do not go that route....

What ISP and hardware (modem, router, devices, etc..) do your folks have?

Wired and/or wireless connections?

There may be something that could be done to improve their connection speeds.

Aug 7, 2019
I think the hotel would share the network willingly (my parents know most people in town, so they probably know them or someone there!) so that probably wouldn't be an issue, but totally appreciate your point.

ISP is Utility Warehouse. I called him and he said the following...

"Technicolor TG588v v2, We have a copper line to the house which was renewed a couple of years ago"

All connections are wireless (Laptops, Phones, Fire stick, Alexa device) except for a power-line connection to the garage/office.

Thanks for your help :)