[SOLVED] Wireless router reducing speeds by 4-5x vs. wireless modem

franklyfresh

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
I am currently using an ISP provided wireless ethernet gateway, Zyxel EMG3415-B10A. On a wireless connection, I get ~430mbps download / 60mbps upload, however, the signal strength is very weak in places around the house.

To solve for this I purchased a Netgear Nighthawk AC7800 X4S router. I have the router set up as an access point but the connection speeds are around 90mbps download /80mbps upload. Why is the download speed reduced so dramatically from 430 to 90 and upload increased from 60 to 80 when connecting through the router? A wired connection through the router gets me similar speeds so the issue is only when I connect wirelessly through the router.

How do I get my wireless router speeds to match the speed of the ISP modem connection?

Speed Tests - would like to get the WIFI Router speed to the WIFI Modem speed.
Cksmfy7.png

Router Wireless settings:
CgT17t2.png

smw4noZ.png

Last edited:
Solution
Both Zyxel (re-enabled) and Netgear say the Link Rate is 866.7Mbps.

I did notice Netgear does not have IPv6 Connectivity to the internet while the Zyxel does. Is this a clue for us?

NETGEAR
LHDwQMR.png

ZYXEL
NfmW219.png
If the link rate is the same, then your performance "should" be the same when you say you get the full 400Mbit with wired connectivity.

Lets try something -- Change the Netgear back to a router, connect the WAN port on the netgear to the Zyxel and see what the performance is. I have run out of ideas on the AP config.

kanewolf

Titan
A few things I would change on your Netgear config. DISABLE WIFI Protected Setup (WPS) -- It is a security risk. Manually select your WIFI channels and "mode" (bandwidth). Your 2.4Ghz channel width should be 20Mhz and I would start with 40Mhz on your 5Ghz.
DISABLE WIFI on the Zyxel so that it is not competing with the Netgear.

franklyfresh

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
A few things I would change on your Netgear config. DISABLE WIFI Protected Setup (WPS) -- It is a security risk. Manually select your WIFI channels and "mode" (bandwidth). Your 2.4Ghz channel width should be 20Mhz and I would start with 40Mhz on your 5Ghz.
DISABLE WIFI on the Zyxel so that it is not competing with the Netgear.

Hi - thank you for the help here Kane. I have (1) disabled WPS, (2) manually selected channels, and (3) disabled Zyxel WIFI. Not sure how to select "mode"/bandwidth or adjust the channel widths.

After those changes my Netgear WiFi is still under 100mbps. Is there perhaps a 100mbps limit somewhere in my settings? The reason I ask is because upload will go past 100mbps but download seems to be capping under 100mps on speed tests.

The Zyxel modem is in Routing mode, should this be switched to Bridge mode?

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
The "Wireless settings" screen shows a "Mode" option -- set to "Up to 800Mbs" on 2.4Ghz. Maybe that is OK. It probably picks 20/40Mhz auto, but the manual is impossible to tell. Channel selection should be 1, 6, 11 for 2.4Ghz and I would recommend something in the 30 - 40 channel number for 5Ghz.

On the "Advanced" tab of your router, there is a "Show statistics" option. That will show you if the ethernet ports are connected at 100Mbit or 1000Mbit (gigabit) speeds.

That router tries to be "smart" about prioritizing traffic. You could try ENABLING the "Dynamic QOS" (page 76 of the users manual) and see what that does.

franklyfresh

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
The "Wireless settings" screen shows a "Mode" option -- set to "Up to 800Mbs" on 2.4Ghz. Maybe that is OK. It probably picks 20/40Mhz auto, but the manual is impossible to tell. Channel selection should be 1, 6, 11 for 2.4Ghz and I would recommend something in the 30 - 40 channel number for 5Ghz.

On the "Advanced" tab of your router, there is a "Show statistics" option. That will show you if the ethernet ports are connected at 100Mbit or 1000Mbit (gigabit) speeds.

That router tries to be "smart" about prioritizing traffic. You could try ENABLING the "Dynamic QOS" (page 76 of the users manual) and see what that does.

Got it - thanks for the additional clarity. I've adjusted per your recommendations. Below is a screenshot of the statistics. I also checked the Zyxel modem to ensure it was passing through 1000M to the Netgear router.

Enabling Dynamic QoS reduced the speeds.

RzSurqo.png

Cn5ZkKj.png

kanewolf

Titan
Did you go through all the setup for the Dynamic QOS? It says you have to specify your internet bandwidth. If you had that wrong, (or default) it could be the problem.

I think you need to concentrate on wired throughput first. Be sure that your wired performance isn't limited.

franklyfresh

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
For the QOS I used the router facilitated speed test to determine bandwidth. Interestingly enough, the Netgear router speed test clocked at 400/100 which is drastically different than browser speed test... Either way the QOS reduced the speeds so I turned it back off.

How would I verify wired throughput is not the issue? Wired connection via cat5e from the Zyxel modem to PC or the Netgear router to PC yield 400mbps+ speeds. Its only the Netgear WiFi that speeds get reduced.

kanewolf

Titan
For the QOS I used the router facilitated speed test to determine bandwidth. That reduced the speeds so I turned it back off.

How would I verify wired throughput is not the issue? Wired connection via cat5e from the Zyxel modem to PC or the Netgear router to PC yield 400mbps+ speeds. Its only the Netgear WiFi that speeds get reduced.
The wired SHOULD be OK since you have the Netgear in AP mode. The wired ports are just on the switch, but that does verify that the cable from the Zyxel to the Netgear isn't the issue.

For wireless, you are connecting to the 5Ghz WIFI SSID, correct?

kanewolf

Titan

franklyfresh

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010

kanewolf

Titan
Both Zyxel (re-enabled) and Netgear say the Link Rate is 866.7Mbps.

I did notice Netgear does not have IPv6 Connectivity to the internet while the Zyxel does. Is this a clue for us?

NETGEAR
LHDwQMR.png

ZYXEL
NfmW219.png
If the link rate is the same, then your performance "should" be the same when you say you get the full 400Mbit with wired connectivity.

Lets try something -- Change the Netgear back to a router, connect the WAN port on the netgear to the Zyxel and see what the performance is. I have run out of ideas on the AP config.

Solution

franklyfresh

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010

Looks like setting up as a router works!! I am not sure why AP didn't do it but Netgear set up as a router instead of AP got my high speeds instantly!

To keep the Netgear in Router mode, is there anything I need to do with with the Zyxel configuration besides disabling Wifi? Any changes needed with the Netgear?

I read somewhere I should put Zyxel in Bridge mode?? But not quite sure what all that means

Either way, thank you so much for dedicating so much time to helping me diagnose and resolve. You have truly been a huge help!!

v0bHxkQ.png