[SOLVED] Wireless security system

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
Not sure if this is best place to post this but I am looking into getting a wireless security system. Never messed with security systems before. Looking at getting an 8 channel system, will probably use 4 cameras to start out, just want to leave room to add more if needed. No idea what brands are good ones to get or stay away from.

I know they have 4k systems and that would be nice to have although not sure needed. With a 4k system, would storage become a problem pretty fast? How reliable are wireless systems? I think one issue for us with a wireless system is the cameras will be used around an all metal building. We have internet inside the building but not sure if it will have trouble picking up the signal if the camera is right outside.

Solution
If I go wireless, what kind of info should I be looking for? And that's why I am posting here, to get info. Do they have forums specifically for security systems?
While I know a bit about CCTV, I have almost zero experience with wireless cameras.

There must be sites out there with a lot of info and advice. I suspect some are sponsored by various manufacturers, so I'd try to find one that seems neutral. As for information on deploying wireless cameras, make sure it's recent enough that it discusses 802.11ac, or whatever wireless standard is supported by the cameras you're considering.

Things I'd look at are: light sensitivity, wide-dynamic-range, sensor size, operating temperature range, and vandal-resistant & weather-proof...

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah, that's how Ali started, B2B.

These low end camera+DVR systems are all the same.
They use the same code libraries, the camera guts are all the same, I expect the motherboard in the DVR box is the same.

My current camera setup is in house only.
The ethernet only gets connected if we go on vacation. And usually not even then.

People expecting motion detection and crystal clear "identify the perp" are sorely disappointed.
The motion detection is impossibly hard to get right. Every cloud, spider, rabbit....
Car headlights at night.
And of course, the little spider spinning her web for 4 hours.