wireless signal strength

JohnLE

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
Is there any way to boost the signal strength to my wireless devices on my home wireless network? I also suffer from frequent disconnect/reconnect problems.

What is the distance between the router and the device when you are getting disconnected? Are there walls, floors, electrical conduit or other obstructions between the router and your device? Depending upon these variables, there are solutions to fix the problems.

USAFRet

Titan
Identify the problem:
weak signal strength

Why is this so?
Distance?
Building construction?
Other electronics in the way?
Interference with other WiFi networks? (same channel with your neighbors)
Crappy router?

Take care of all of those, and then we would look at applying a different solution (increased wifi power)

JohnLE

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013

Microwave ovens, cordless phones, and other electronic devices can create interference. My suggestion would be, if possible, run a cable from the router to the other room, and add an access point. If you can't run the wire, you can try something like a power line adapter, then connect an access point.

It could also be that you need to change the wireless channel(s) used on the router. What is the make/model of the router - and are you connecting wireless B, G or N? If wireless N - which band are you using?

ksio89

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
Yeah, the 2.4 Ghz band is quite used, so maybe there's some interference. As the previous poster wrote, try to change the transmission channel in your router, to "AUTO" or the highest available (channel 13, I guess). Also see if enabling 20/40 MHz bandwidth mode helps with the signal strenght. I don't know if actually increases the signal power and it seems it can actually cause more interference than 20 MHz mode.

How about a Wi-Fi router with 2+ antennas or one of those Wi-FI repeater/ranger extender units, do those things really work?