Wireless signal to wired and wireless router

sheakev

Honorable
Jul 23, 2016
This seams like it should be an easyquestion but my IT staff haven't got a clue.
My interent is from Exced Satellite. I have my wireless Linksys router plugged into it. I have my office and ham radio station in a nearby building. They are only about30 ft apart and I get an OK singnal in that building. I cannot run a cable over to the other building and they are on seperate power meters so there is now wired connection at all between the two buildings.
I want to pick off that signal and feed my computers and a couple of other devices through a wired router.

So what device would I buy to do this best? And is there any chance I could hang another wireless router off such a device so I have wireless through out this outbuilding? That would be perfect.

Solution
A pair of wireless bridges, to create a point-to-point 5Ghz network would be the best answer. You run ethernet to one of the bridges in the internet building. Then the other unit picks-up the signal in the second building and converts it to ethernet. You can add an ethernet switch and WIFI access point in the second building. You will have a single network.

Both Engenius and Ubiquiti make directional wireless bridge hardware. The Engenius ENS500 or the Ubiquiti nano 5Ghz.

kanewolf

Titan
A pair of wireless bridges, to create a point-to-point 5Ghz network would be the best answer. You run ethernet to one of the bridges in the internet building. Then the other unit picks-up the signal in the second building and converts it to ethernet. You can add an ethernet switch and WIFI access point in the second building. You will have a single network.

Both Engenius and Ubiquiti make directional wireless bridge hardware. The Engenius ENS500 or the Ubiquiti nano 5Ghz.

Solution

sheakev

Honorable
Jul 23, 2016

Thank you! this seems spot on. I just want to make certain I understand this solution.

I would plug one bridge into the existing wireless router (the one connected to my satellite modem). That transmits the signal to the other bridge in the out building. An Ethernet cable then is connected between that bridge and a local wireless router. From that router I would connect to the internet thru a an internet cable to a device; or a device could connect to the wireless router. Do I have that all correct?

kanewolf

Titan
Although this isn't the best way to diagram let me try ...

Existing Internet router -> ethernet cable -> wireless bridge (in window or outside) {{{ space between buildings }}} wireless bridge (in window or outside) -> ethernet cable -> ethernet switch -> devices and/or WIFI access point

That would be my recommended implementation.

TRENDING THREADS