Wireless speed seems capped at 50mbps when wired goes up to double?

thesuperguy

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013
I recently upgraded my internet from 50mbps to 100mbps, and while wired tests indicate the speed is there, I find that my Asus RT-N56U only gives me up to 50mbps on wifi. Similarly, my ISP also provided what is apparently a strong AC wireless extender (Actiontec WEB6000Q) but I find that it too appears capped at 50mbps. This is very disappointing because these are speeds that I was achieving before, and all devices in the house are connected wirelessly. I would think that the RT-N56U and or the provided extender would be able to easily reach 100mbps but this does not appear to be the case.

My network is setup as follows:

2 DSL cables coming out of my wall connect to the provided modem router combo (Actiontec T2200H). This modem/router is then connected from its LAN port to the WAN port on the ASUS router, or the LAN port of the extender depending on which one I'm testing.

I've also attempted bridging the router portion of the modem router combo to the Asus router, but it has little effect on speed so I reversed the switch.

Any ideas on what I can do? I realize that I live in an apartment so wifi congestion is definitely present, but would purchasing a higher end router potentially increase speeds?

You still have not addressed the major factor which is what is your device's wifi card?

If you only have an n150 connection (or don't have n300 set up specifically for 300mbps), then cut it in half for tx/rx that means that your absolute max "theoretical" speed you would actually see is 75mbps.
So 50 mbps is not unreasonable for that scenario, even more so when most devices come with budget and not premium end wifi cards.

Are you using 2.4 or 5ghz band?

thesuperguy

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013

I am testing only on the 5ghz band. Testing has been done on an iPhone 5s, and a computer with a TP-Link WDN4800. Testing is done at at most 5m away.