[SOLVED] Wireless to ethernet stopped working "Ethernet Doesn't Have A Valid IP Configuration"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2018
Hi! im dumbfounded by my current problem.

Im for the moment using a laptop which recieves wifi from my router, and i share it to my pc via ethernet from this said laptop. And it has worked like a charm. Bu all in a sudden my laptop shut off for a scheduled windows 10 update, and i think it messed with the ethernet settings. Now i dont have internet on my PC anymore, the ethernet connection is listed as "unidentified network" on both the laptop and pc lokoing at it in the "network connections" screen.
And hitting windows built in diagnose or right clicking in the task bar on internet and selecting troubleshoot problems yields "Ethernet Doesn't Have A Valid IP Configuration"

It feels like an easy fix would be to somehow make both the laptop and pc forget eachother and reset it physically aswell by just removing the ethernet cable, and refitting it after the laptop and pc dont know eachother again, if so how does one do this? or is there a better alternative. Best regards / Hannes

Solution
This:

"wi-fi still works fine on the laptop, so i suspect the problem is within the Ethernet.
And so i wonder is there a way to delete all data regarding the ethernet connection on both the laptop and pc, similar to ”forgetting” a wireless connection.
I feel like that would be the easiest fix "

"Easiest fix" - perhaps not.

Reason: We do not know what the problem may be so therefore even an easy "fix" may make things worse.

Per @jsmithepa's post take a close look at Windows Internet Sharing (ICS )and do some reading about how to set that up. Compare to your current ICS configuration. Could be just some minor adjustment is needed.

The following link may be helpful...

Ralston18

Titan
Does the following line diagram show the current connections?

Router ~~~ Wireless ~~~>Laptop[LAN] ----Ethernet cable ---->[LAN] PC?

On the PC are you able to run and post the results of "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command prompt?

Make and model Router?

Dec 21, 2018
So you configured this thing and don't remember how u did it? Is called Windows Internet Sharing.
All i did when setting it up was to turn on :
”allow other network users to connect through this computer's internet connection”
on the wi-fi settings on the laptop, after that i just connected an ethernet cable between the laptop and pc, and that was it.
But now it no longer works.

wi-fi still works fine on the laptop, so i suspect the problem is within the Ethernet.
And so i wonder is there a way to delete all data regarding the ethernet connection on both the laptop and pc, similar to ”forgetting” a wireless connection.
I feel like that would be the easiest fix

Dec 21, 2018
Does the following line diagram show the current connections?

Router ~~~ Wireless ~~~>Laptop[LAN] ----Ethernet cable ---->[LAN] PC?

On the PC are you able to run and post the results of "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command prompt?

Make and model Router?
Yes that line diagram is correct, il try the cmd command you listed when i get home, yesterday i tried to input ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew in admin cmd, but to no avail

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"wi-fi still works fine on the laptop, so i suspect the problem is within the Ethernet.
I feel like that would be the easiest fix "

"Easiest fix" - perhaps not.

Reason: We do not know what the problem may be so therefore even an easy "fix" may make things worse.

Per @jsmithepa's post take a close look at Windows Internet Sharing (ICS )and do some reading about how to set that up. Compare to your current ICS configuration. Could be just some minor adjustment is needed.

The following link may be helpful:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-share-your-internet-connection-on-windows-2377463

Check ipconfig on both the laptop and computer as part of your investigation and troubleshooting process.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.