Wireless vs. LAN cable home networking

abc

Hi-

I've got my home wireless network working now, including being able to print
from my laptop to a printer connected to my desktop (with both machines
connected wirelessly through a router). There are a number of reasons why
this wireless setup is superior, for my use, to a physical connection to the
desktop with a LAN cable.

However, there are some things I'd like to do through the desktop that would
probably go much faster using a LAN connection. Can I set up a second
network that lets me connect my laptop directly to the desktop using a LAN
cable? Do I need any special accessories or software to do this? In
particular, the desktop HD is much larger than the laptop and I like to
backup files onto the desktop (say 5 to 10 GB worth). Am I correct in
thinking this would move much faster over the LAN than wirelessly?

Thanks for any help.

Kelley

personallky, i found the whole system to be alot faster when i changed to
wireless from a lan.
however, i concur with your thoughts of a cat5 lan would be faster for file
transfer.
if you have a spare pair of nic sockets then set another net up for file
transfer, the set up should be very easy.

mike

"ABC" <kdstrawn@wisc.edu> wrote in message
> Hi-
>
> I've got my home wireless network working now, including being able to
print
> from my laptop to a printer connected to my desktop (with both machines
> connected wirelessly through a router). There are a number of reasons why
> this wireless setup is superior, for my use, to a physical connection to
the
> desktop with a LAN cable.
>
> However, there are some things I'd like to do through the desktop that
would
> probably go much faster using a LAN connection. Can I set up a second
> network that lets me connect my laptop directly to the desktop using a
LAN
> cable? Do I need any special accessories or software to do this? In
> particular, the desktop HD is much larger than the laptop and I like to
> backup files onto the desktop (say 5 to 10 GB worth). Am I correct in
> thinking this would move much faster over the LAN than wirelessly?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Kelley

This would be much faster as you will be connecting at 100mps (Assuming you
have a recent network card in both) What you need is a CROSSOVER cable, this
will eliminate the need for another hub.