[SOLVED] Wireless wifi extender

jazmag

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2012
Is there a power socket device that will connect to my wifi wirelessly and then transmit through the power lines to a secondary device that will then broadcast to extend?
I know about the normal ones that have to be wired to the router is there a set that can connect to the network wirelessly?

Solution
youre kinda describing 2 different things there, never heard of a device that provides both of those functions
Power line adapters transmit through the electrical lines but have to be connected via ethernet on both ends usually, there are some that have wifi on one end if im not mistaken but the connection to the router has to be ethernet
Wifi range extender would pick up the wifi from the router and spit it back out but would spit it back out from wherever the extender is placed
and from what i gather from your post youre looking for some combination of both, something that connects to the router wirelessly, runs through the power lines, and spits out somewhere else, a device like that wouldnt be very practical and not many people...
Sep 7, 2019
youre kinda describing 2 different things there, never heard of a device that provides both of those functions
Power line adapters transmit through the electrical lines but have to be connected via ethernet on both ends usually, there are some that have wifi on one end if im not mistaken but the connection to the router has to be ethernet
Wifi range extender would pick up the wifi from the router and spit it back out but would spit it back out from wherever the extender is placed
and from what i gather from your post youre looking for some combination of both, something that connects to the router wirelessly, runs through the power lines, and spits out somewhere else, a device like that wouldnt be very practical and not many people would ever buy it so not much of any reason for a company to produce it

in order to accomplish what you want it is possible, but not with a single device that i have ever heard of, combination of extender with an ethernet port or a bridge to go from wireless to ethernet, and a powerline adapater set that either has built in wifi on the end or hooked to a wireless access point or a cheap router if configured properly to act as an access point. but its not exactly going to be an ideal setup

Solution