Wireless + Wired

philostow

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
I have two questions. I'm trying to help my (non technical) brother in law who lives several states away, and so I'm looking for an almost turnkey solution for him. He has a wired LAN in his house. Cable modem to a Linksys wired router which feeds four Ethernet cables to ports located throughout his house. On several of these ports he has a PC attached. All is well. He wants to add wireless capability with minimal fuss. I thought the easiest solution for him would be to add a wireless access point to one of the ports on the main floor of his house.

1. Would this work? Would it require much in the way of configuration (aside from security and MAC filtering)? I'm really looking for an almost "plug n play" solution for him.
2. Which WAP would you recommend? Cost is no object, range and ease of use/configuration are important.

Thanks

philostow

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
You could also use a wireless router which may actually cost less than a WAP (or nothing as people chuck away ISP supplied ones when they change supplier). Just make sure the router's IP address is set differently to that of the wired router.

So you're suggesting adding a wireless router, but then I'd have to disable DHCP on the wireless, correct? if so, this wouldn't qualify as easy to configure. Thanks anyway.

G

You could also use a wireless router which may actually cost less than a WAP (or nothing as people chuck away ISP supplied ones when they change supplier). Try plugging it into the wall socket (or the wired router via an ethernet cable into one of the ethernet ports) make sure the wireless router's IP address is set differently to that of the wired router. Probably turn off DHCP as well.

Have a look at this: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1080

The DHCP would remain automatic on the Internet side of things but your wireless internal network - or Intranet - could have any addresses you like - I usually use 10.0.0.1 etc.

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Buy an access point to this. Connect the access point to the wired LAN. Then the PC you want to connect "wireless" - If this is a desktop buy a PCI wireless adapter, a laptop a WAP both were cheap. Yes DHCP should be automatic.