Wireless won't connect unless security is set to Open

PlaneGuy

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
Hello all,

I'm having an issue that I have never seen or heard of before. Basically, I can't get my desktop PC to connect to my new wireless network. I just switched to a new ISP (Brighthouse) and they gave me a new modem/router (Model: Arris TG1672G). Whenever I go to connect the desktop PC to the 2.4GHz channel (5GHz isn't working but I'll mention that later), it won't connect unless I have the security set to WEP or Open. Neither WPA or WPA2 will connect. This is odd because the last router was secured with WPA2 and worked just fine. All my other devices will connect no matter what security is being used. Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Computer Specs:
Motherboard- Gigabyte G1 Assasssin 2
Wireless Card- Gigabyte GC-WB300D

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the 5GHz channel is not being found because Gigabyte GC-WB300D will only find it if it is using channel 12. The lowest channel the router supports is 36. Seems to make sense to me.

Clayto1332

Reputable
Feb 10, 2015
Hmmm... Channel 12 and 13 are on the 2.4GHz band and aren't licensed for use in the US by FCC. 5GHz channels are 36 to 64 and if your adapter is wireless N capable it should see anything within the 5GHz band.

Something else is going on. Have you tried a different driver for your wireless card? (Not particularly the newest). Did your old device have a 5GHz network also? Were you able to see and connect to it?

Also try updating the firmware on your combo modem/router.

PlaneGuy

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012

Ok, there's no update for the firmware. I've set the 5GHz channel to 36 and 64 and still can't find it. Like I said, I saw on the network card "5GHz Operation Channel- 12. Could it possibly only support channel 12? It's not the newest in technology. It is wireless N capable though.