Wireless Works, Wired Doesn't

Dec 25, 2013
My wireless works fantastically, without any problems, but my wired connection doesn't.

After a system startup, the wired connection seems to either work for a couple minutes and then take a dump and isn't able to identify the network, OR it just isn't able to identify the network intially after starting up. It's possible that the new powerline adapter I'm using to connect to the router/gateway is messing something up, but as far as its instructions go, all of the symptoms of it working the way it should are showing. I've tried reinstalling the network adapter software, editing the network adapter settings (in network & sharing center -> change adapter settings -> local area connection -> Propterties -> Configure -> Advanced) and wasn't too sure of what any of those did, so a little help there would be nice.

I can't exactly do anything physically to the router as of my situation right now or access the host computer that has the network setup.

I'd say the main problem right now is that the wired connection has problems identifying the network, and fails to keep a connection for extended periods of time.

Dec 25, 2013

No; I got the powerline adapter to use as a shortcut from the router to a downstairs desktop. Unless I got a 50-foot ethernet cable running from the upstairs router to the downstairs computer, which I suggested in the first place to my "administrator" (he said that it's "unsightly"), there would be no way that I know of to get direct connection.

EDIT: I take that back, actually. The adapter seems to intermittently work and stop working every couple minutes, or just randomly. It's the Zyxel PLA4211. Green one minute, red the next.

allennnn

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
You will have to move the computer even if you set it up on the floor, or get different powerlines, the only ones recommended here are the Zyxel PLA5215 600Mbps or the model below, but it's still no guaranty it will work with the wiring you have.

you don't have them plugged in an extension do you? it has to be the wall.

EDIT: Test them in the same room.

Dec 25, 2013
I know the adapter has the capability to work properly because it was JUST working for a solid hour last night before I went to bed. I don't exactly know what I did to make it work, but after I started up the computer this morning, it went back to working for only a few minutes and then failing and not being able to identify the network.

And yes, I do have both of them plugged into a wall directly.