Wireless Xbox 360 controller in win10 stops working only in emulators

Sep 2, 2018
I have an issue trying to get my wireless XBox 360 controller to work reliably with my emulators. At random occasions whenever I go to play any emulator, the controller just doesn't work. Other times it works without issues. Trying to remap any buttons from settings does not work either, it just sits there waiting to take an input. The issue is identical in all the emulators I have tried. I have used "rew" (old gameboy and NES emulator), bgb (another gameboy emulator), Snes9x, Visualboy advance. It also affects some old PC games.

However, when I play recent PC games such as Rocket League, the controller works perfectly fine even while it doesn't work in any other game/emulator, so it's not an issue with the controller/driver itself. If I unplug the USB receiver and plug it back in (to the same USB port), the emulators will start taking inputs again. But when I go to play Rocket league later, the game now detects the controller as "Player 2", and the only practical way I have found this far to fix it is to restart my PC to reset the situation. After rebooting, both the emulators and Rocket league start working again. Although I have not experimented too much with this, I have an impression that the emulators stop taking inputs after I have launched Rocket League and then later try to play any other game on the same startup of windows.

The issue started relatively recently, perhaps 3-4 months ago. Before that it worked fine every time in both rocket league and the emulators. There is one hint towards what the issue might be. Before I had these issues, I used to get the "Device plugged in" sound in windows whenever I turned on my wireless controller, and "device unplugged" when turning it off. This doesn't happen anymore, and I suspect that this is somehow related. Something like the XBox controller not being recognised as a "joystick" in device manager anymore, but rather as an XBox controller as a separate category with its own API that only recent games know how to interface with. Did microsoft change the way the Xbox controller inputs work recently? Having tried to fix this before I ran into articles about a windows "game bar" and a "DVR" option that had to be disabled, however I have not had any success trying to disable these features.

Has anyone else had any similar issues?

Edit: I can add that I have tried to run the emulators as administrator, but it doesn't change anything.

Solution
1| Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your platform's motherboard.
2| See if uninstalling and reinstalling your chipset drivers resolves the issue.
3| You may also want to uninstall the controller from Device Manager and reboot your system to see if the reinstallation of drivers causes the issue to iron out.
4| You might also want to download the Windows 7 drivers for the controller and install it in compatibility mode:
Right click installer>Compatibility Tab>Windows 7 (from the drop down menu).

Lutfij

Titan
1| Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your platform's motherboard.
2| See if uninstalling and reinstalling your chipset drivers resolves the issue.
3| You may also want to uninstall the controller from Device Manager and reboot your system to see if the reinstallation of drivers causes the issue to iron out.
4| You might also want to download the Windows 7 drivers for the controller and install it in compatibility mode:
Right click installer>Compatibility Tab>Windows 7 (from the drop down menu).

Solution