Wireless Zero Configuration - updated problem

I am having a problem with a set of laptops running Windows XP Pro (w/SP2).

This is all on a wireless connection:

When I log on with the domain administrator account, all is well, however,
when my regular domain users log in, they are able to authenticate against
the domain, Active Directory enabled scripts and policies run, folder
redirections, mapped drives, etc connect, and then the Wireless Zero
Configuration service appears to stop as they lose their wireless connection.

If I re-enable the service, it works fine until the machine is rebooted.

UPDATE: the service starts fine on the default domain (the domain the
machines are joined to during RIS) however, the service stops starting (can I
even say that?) after I rejoin them to a child domain.

Any suggestions?

I figured it out.

The machines (Dell Latitude F510's) use an Intel onboard wireless card. The
driver for the card loads a WLANKEEPER service that runs the irritating Intel
software. SO even though I tell Windows to manage the wireless card, the
Intel stuff kicks it offline,

Stopping the WLANKEEPER service and setting it to disabled allows me to
re-enable WZC and lets Windows manage my wireless word.

Woot.

"Matthew Ellis (SD47)" wrote:

> I am having a problem with a set of laptops running Windows XP Pro (w/SP2).
>
> This is all on a wireless connection:
>
> When I log on with the domain administrator account, all is well, however,
> when my regular domain users log in, they are able to authenticate against
> the domain, Active Directory enabled scripts and policies run, folder
> redirections, mapped drives, etc connect, and then the Wireless Zero
> Configuration service appears to stop as they lose their wireless connection.
>
> If I re-enable the service, it works fine until the machine is rebooted.
>
> UPDATE: the service starts fine on the default domain (the domain the
> machines are joined to during RIS) however, the service stops starting (can I
> even say that?) after I rejoin them to a child domain.
>
> Any suggestions?

Matthew -

I have a similar problem on an HP Pavilion laptop with a built-in
wireless card from Broadcom. When the machine reboots, or when a user
logs out and another logs in, the Wireless Zero Configuration utility
stops and the internet connection is lost. I am trying to find out how
to stop this form happening by reading posts in this topic group.

Perhaps my laptop has a similar WLANKEEPER service that I should
disable. How do you find the WLANKEEPER and how do you disable it?

Thanks.
Dan

Hi Dan.

It is listed as a service under Services. Easiest way to get there is to
Right Click MY COMPUTER and choose Manage from the list. Expand the newly
open window where it says Services and Applications. Then look at Services
to see the list.

Hope that helps ...

"danfranceski" wrote:

> Matthew -
>
> I have a similar problem on an HP Pavilion laptop with a built-in
> wireless card from Broadcom. When the machine reboots, or when a user
> logs out and another logs in, the Wireless Zero Configuration utility
> stops and the internet connection is lost. I am trying to find out how
> to stop this form happening by reading posts in this topic group.
>
> Perhaps my laptop has a similar WLANKEEPER service that I should
> disable. How do you find the WLANKEEPER and how do you disable it?
>
> Thanks.
> Dan

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Matthew Ellis (SD47)" <MatthewEllisSD47@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:7678E8A4-C575-4A1F-821C-CBA8B76F680B@microsoft.com...
> Hi Dan.
>
> It is listed as a service under Services. Easiest way to get there is to
> Right Click MY COMPUTER and choose Manage from the list. Expand the newly
> open window where it says Services and Applications. Then look at
> Services
> to see the list.

Just to shortcut that, go to start/run and type services.msc and hit enter
to bring that up.

Warlord1525

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Hey guys, okay I went to the Services section of my laptop and I did not find the WLANKEEPER. What else could be causing me to have to hit start on my WZC every time i boot my laptop?

Thanks a head of time,
Max