Jan 29, 2020
I currently live with my folks and as many people, I’m sure, have seen before they don’t want me tinkering with their network too much. They don’t mind if I had a home lab in my room, but the problem with that is there are no Ethernet ports ran upstairs.

I did research on power line, MoCa (I have DirectTV, BS), DeCa, repeaters, and extenders. I decided because I have a decent 5GHz signal in my room I can live with close to 60-70 mbps (usually reliable 150-200 mbps) with a wireless bridge (?) because I don’t game or do anything bandwidth intensive. I want to be able to wire up my lab to this second routerJust want to do some tinkering.

So my QUESTION is, how would I go about this without problems with portfowarding and or bad double NAT’ing (if either of these are even a problem)?

Would it make more sense to use second router as bridge/repeater or make it a second network within a network? I’m not sure.

This is what I drew up and what I plan on doing/my current situation - View: https://imgur.com/gallery/V97LZo6

Thanks for any support!

Lutfij

Titan
If you already have access to a wireless router in your household, you're best going for a wireless repeater and not invest in another router(in itself). Also, if your line of sight from the router is close, might as well just invest in a good wireless adapter for the two devices that need to be connected to the internet.

You forgot to mention the make and model of your router

Jan 29, 2020
If you already have access to a wireless router in your household, you're best going for a wireless repeater and not invest in another router(in itself). Also, if your line of sight from the router is close, might as well just invest in a good wireless adapter for the two devices that need to be connected to the internet.

You forgot to mention the make and model of your router

The reason I wanted to invest in another wireless router if you look at the diagram within the circle is my bedroom. I have no Ethernet ports, so my only way to have a wired home lab through my bedroom is to have a router that is connected to the other one. But in what I said you can see how I could have problems. Please read the post and give me a solid opinion!

TRENDING THREADS