[SOLVED] Wirelss Internet Connection always dropping/ DNS error 1014

Jan 25, 2019
Hello, I am very frustrated and annoyed with my ISP. I upgraded to a wired DSL plan and since then my Acer Laptop had not been connecting to the internet properly. In the EVENT VIEWER, i would always see Name resolution for the name (website name) timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded. Then it will drop out of connection, i would i either disconnect and reconnect my laptop or reset my router.

So far here's what i've done

1. I used my mobile phone data to tether the internet connection. No problem whatsoever.
2. Used my laptop at my cousin's house with the same DSL connection and router. No Problem whatsoever
3. Reformatted my laptop. (im using windows 10)
4. Uninstalled/ Reinstalled Qualcome Atheros Wireless adapter.
5. Installed newest driver
6. Reset TCP/IP
7. Replaced ISP wifi router with a brand new router from the same ISP
8. Changed Power Settings to not turn off wireless adapter.
9. did do FlushDNS and Register DNS
10. did ipconfig/ release and renew
11. did a hard wired connection on laptop. No Issues.

Currently there's 5 devices connected to my router (1 Laptop, 4mobile phones, 1 iPad)
I'm running Windows 10 just an FYI

So i'm not really sure what's going on.

Please help!

Solution
Router

You will need router admin rights and the details may vary with the router model. Two examples of how to change:

https://www.spark.co.nz/help/internet-data/equipment/huawei/hg630b-gateway/changing-the-wireless-channel-huawei-hg630b.html/

https://ee.co.uk/help/phones-and-device/huawei/huawei-e5330-mobile-wifi/huawei-e5330-mobile-wifi---internet-and-connection/huawei-e5330-mobile-wifi---change-the-wifi-channel

Laptop:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln285293/change-the-intel-advanced-wi-fi-adapter-settings-to-improve-slow-performance-and-intermittent-connections?lang=en

Again generic process but should be a good starting point.

In both cases you will want to google the device make and models to find the...
Jan 25, 2019
Hello Ralston18! thank you for your reply! Actually i forgot to mention it's only supported for IPv4. IPv6 is currently disabled. i've tried also that approach but i learned it was already not offered by my ISP. Any other suggestion perhaps? I was thinking if there is a software or an app to identify such anomalies like this whenever the Router is acting up against a Laptop or any other device

Ralston18

Titan
DSL uses what is called a splitter or filter.

You have an incoming telephone line from the ISP that leads to the splitter (filter). The splitter, in turn, has two outgoing lines: one line goes to the telephones and the second line goes to the network router.

Splitters can be quite problematic. Try using known working cables (telephone and ethernet) and even another splitter if possible.

I did note that the laptop worked with wired.

Are you able to post the results of "ipconfig /all" (without quotes") via command prompt on the laptop.

And do the same with the laptop configured for wireless connectivity.

What make and model router did your ISP provide?

Jan 25, 2019
Hi Ralston18, thanks again for replying to this. I'm currently at my brother in law's house so i may not be able to post the info right away Just to let you know, he is using the same kind of Internet DSL plan speed and same ISP with mine. Though when i connect my laptop to their router, it does not disconnect nor fluctuate.

So my bullet points for this is.
1. My laptop connects to the internet flawlessly when it's connected to a mobile data tethering source.
2. My laptop connects to my brother in law's router with no issues and we have the same ISP provider.
3. The router here is a ZTE model, and i think mine is a Huawei model.

So maybe, what are the possible other troubleshooting i can do? or would you still need the INFO for that ipconfig /all?

Ralston18

Titan
Yes try to run and post the results of "ipconfig /all" while at home connected to your/the Huawei router.

Which model Hauwei router do you have? Check the version number as well. May need a firmware update....

Who has admin rights to your/the Huawei router? Router's logs (if available and enabled) may be capturing some errors or useful information.

Jan 25, 2019
Absolutely, I will copy and paste those information when I get home later. Currently I think the Admin rights is solely handled by the ISP technicians and they might not share that to me, so i only have the regular User/User info.. thank you again for getting back to me. please come back when i post the info. I'm just really annoyed by my ISP's services towards my internet. i'm paying them a hefty sum of money and this is the service i get from them. smh

Jan 25, 2019
hello Ralston 18 Here's the wireless info for ipconfig /all

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-7LOLTUR
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 Wireless Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 68-94-23-C5-78-51
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::e4ee:6c38:24b6:fe40%13(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.254.100(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 28, 2019 6:27:53 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, January 31, 2019 6:34:34 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.254.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.254.254
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 224957475
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-23-BF-8B-B4-08-9E-01-57-BC-E9
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.254.254
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 68-94-23-C5-78-52
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:9d38:6abd:876:bfd7:8f39:2648(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::876:bfd7:8f39:2648%6(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 352321536
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-23-BF-8B-B4-08-9E-01-57-BC-E9
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{93CB656C-707E-433B-93E0-15676DDC785B}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Jan 25, 2019
the model of my router is manufactured by Shenzhen Gongjin Electronics, i'm not sure if that's Huawei or ZTE or what it is but it's defnitely a Chinese company. Now when i try my Ethernet cable, it says the internet is limited. I may need to troubleshoot that later. but my main concern is the WiFi connection because it gives me more mobility if its in wifi

Jan 25, 2019
Actually, i don't know how to find that info. i've seen it before on the previous forums i went to. but i did not pay attention to it, where can i find that on my router and on my laptop?

Ralston18

Titan
Router

You will need router admin rights and the details may vary with the router model. Two examples of how to change:

https://www.spark.co.nz/help/internet-data/equipment/huawei/hg630b-gateway/changing-the-wireless-channel-huawei-hg630b.html/

https://ee.co.uk/help/phones-and-device/huawei/huawei-e5330-mobile-wifi/huawei-e5330-mobile-wifi---internet-and-connection/huawei-e5330-mobile-wifi---change-the-wifi-channel

Laptop:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln285293/change-the-intel-advanced-wi-fi-adapter-settings-to-improve-slow-performance-and-intermittent-connections?lang=en

Again generic process but should be a good starting point.

In both cases you will want to google the device make and models to find the specific step-by-step "how-to".

One caution: if all other devices are working as expected then leave the router as is. Focus on the laptop's wireless configuration first.

Solution
Jan 25, 2019
Hey, thanks for this Ralston18! I am testing this out as we speak, and i'm crossing my fingers that this would work. well so far i changed my wireless modem channel to 5.4ghz.. so far so good. I will let you know by tomorrow if this setting sticks.

Jan 25, 2019
Well that did not last long. still my connection drops out. But i was able to see what are my channels are

1. On the router: i can choose 20mhz to 40mhz
2. On my Qualcomm Atheros device: I can choose between 2.4ghz to 5.2ghz

Ralston18

Titan
Which model Qualcomm Atheros? Did you check that the antenna's are properly attached (fully and firmly screwed on) and oriented per the User Guide/Manual?

That said, you may need to experiment more to discover what works best ("best" defined as little or no dropping). Frequency and/or channel.

Background links to help:

https://www.howtogeek.com/222249/whats-the-difference-between-2.4-ghz-and-5-ghz-wi-fi-and-which-should-you-use/

https://www.actiontec.com/blog/wifi/wifi-wednesday-2-4ghz-vs-5ghz-wifi/

Last minute thought: Do you have antenna extension cables for the router? If extensions are available they may help some.

Jan 25, 2019
It's a Qualcomm Atheros AR5BWB222 Wireless Network Adapter. The router's antenna is properly attached and well aligned so far. Actually what i did yesterday was I went ahead and changed the Wireless Mode Selection from 802.11b/g/n to 802.11a/b/g/n.. I've changed it maybe from 8am to 12nn EST and it did not any DNS ERROR 1014. Since i'm signed on now, i will try to run it through. TIMESTAMP 3:36 AM EST until later in the day