WireLurker Marks New Era Of Malware In Apple Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
TBH on windows at least they did make it really really easy to get virusses running during the xp era, nowadays its not that bad anymore although a lot of linux distro's are still far ahead of windows and ios is also more secure simply due to it forcing everything through their app store, sure not perfect but more secure then having open downloads and unlike linux not requiring a password for everything.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
A few years ago, I spoke to a security researcher who debunked the "Apple is secure" myth. He basically said that it was just a matter of time...and that one of the reasons Macs hadn't been hit hard yet was a simple market share issue: It made more sense for malware makers to exploit Windows because it had a much larger footprint. More bang for their buck.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
Do not connect their iOS devices to untrusted computers and accessories, either to copy information or charge the machines

"Hey - can I borrow your charger?"
"Wow, you've gotta try these speakers!"

I suspect that accessory-to-phone infection is limited to those devices that have some type of writable memory and/or built-in processor.

USB 4.0 spec needs a "power only" mode modification so that you can definitively disable unwanted data connections.

Baumy15

Reputable
May 12, 2014
billzegun1 id say they are just showing how dumb some people are downloading things from 3rd party sites and installing them so if it was downloaded 356,104 times that's a lot of idiots.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
TBH on windows at least they did make it really really easy to get virusses running during the xp era, nowadays its not that bad anymore although a lot of linux distro's are still far ahead of windows and ios is also more secure simply due to it forcing everything through their app store, sure not perfect but more secure then having open downloads and unlike linux not requiring a password for everything.
No, they did not make it 'really easy to get viruses'. They made it really easy to run applications on their OS without pestering their customers ala UAC when it first came out in Windows Vista at every turn.
Bottom line is also that the internet made the compromise of computers into big business for those who were just looking for cash. Before the internet, compromising computers was the purview of state actors trying to get sensitive intelligence data.

ZolaIII

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
As the virus is very sophisticated with a complex path how infection works it looks to me like it's made by some government agency. I place my bet on NSA as the preliminary target whose a Chinese market &they are not thrilled with iOS encryption so they actually need something like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.