[SOLVED] Wireshark detected deauth storm attacking my security cams during fishy event outside.

bill77

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2013
I'm currentlystaying in a sketchy area so we put up cams a few months ago. Within a month it picked up all sorts of intrusive stuff, including one repeat offender telling us "good luck with the cams"! and laughing.

Aware of the vulnerabilities of wireless cams, I've been monitoring my network for deauth/disassociate attacks 24/7 the past week, as things outside seemed to be "stirring" again. I periodically do this . As usual, the scans have been quiet, the normal blips here and there.

This morning, around 3 AM, the dog nearby starts barking out of the blue, immediately followed by the sound of frantic footsteps slapping down, running down the sidewalk just outside, "Hmm.. the cam should've grabbed that". I try to look at the live feed, and nothing. I go to Wireshark, and within 1-2 minutes before and during that event, was the first large burst of deauth packets it's ever really caught on those devices.

Digging into the packets with my admitted limited knowledge, the radio signals seem to indicate outside of the house, but still nearby. Houses are close. The signal not matching our AP's, where it's always been. Do I have any legal options as far as reporting this (and the logs) to the authorities? Or is it pointless? I'm left to speculate what they were up to before the dog spooked them.

I know wired is always better, and I intend to do something about that when I can.

Solution
Wifi is unlicensed and unrestricted. Your only hope would be some anti hacking law but it being wifi you will have no way to actually prove who is transmitting any signals. I mean you could throw a raspberry pi with software to disrupt wifi on someone roof and they likely never find it and it would run until the battery dies.

And that would be if you could prove it as a intentional attack, you could just as easily just run massive amounts of data transfer on a directional antenna to brute force jam the signal. The person doing it could claim they were backing up their data and your camera happened to be inline with their wifi NAS units sitting near the window.

I mean you seem to already know how this attack works. Lets say you...
Wifi is unlicensed and unrestricted. Your only hope would be some anti hacking law but it being wifi you will have no way to actually prove who is transmitting any signals. I mean you could throw a raspberry pi with software to disrupt wifi on someone roof and they likely never find it and it would run until the battery dies.

And that would be if you could prove it as a intentional attack, you could just as easily just run massive amounts of data transfer on a directional antenna to brute force jam the signal. The person doing it could claim they were backing up their data and your camera happened to be inline with their wifi NAS units sitting near the window.

I mean you seem to already know how this attack works. Lets say you wanted to attack someone. All the mac addresses etc are all spoofed. If you use a directional antenna to boast the signal the beam is so narrow it would be hard to tell what direction your traffic is coming from. Even better would be to intentionally bounce it off a cement wall. Even with specialized equipment it would be hard to physically locate the person doing it

Not much you can do it is a know flaw in wifi. And you can get all kinds of simple wifi jammers from places in china and that is a much simpler way to disable a wifi camera.

Then you have the issue the police will likely do nothing even for more serious violations. A kid in a nearby city would take a axe and destroy his neighbors cameras, nothing was done about it until one of the tv stations ran the video even though the police knew he had been doing it for almost a year.

Solution